Find Equilibrium Temp. of Copper & Water Mixture

In summary, the problem asks to find the equilibrium temperature when 7.3 lbs of copper at 1250 deg. F is added to 0.52 ft^3 of water at 35 deg. F in an insulated container. Using the equations delta Q= c*m(Temp. final - Temp. original), with c.c. = 0.092 BTU/lb for copper and c.w. = 1 BTU/lb for water, it can be determined that the final temperature will be found when the heat gained by water is equal to the heat lost by copper. This will result in the final temperature of the system.
biamin

Homework Statement

If 7.3 lbs of copper at 12540 deg. F. is added to .52 ft^3 of water at 35 deg. F. in an insulated container, find the equilibrium temperature.

Homework Equations

I Think I need to use: delta Q= c*m(Temp. final - Temp. original)
c.c. = .092 BTU/lb (specific heat capacity of copper)
c.w. = 1 BTU/lb ( specific heat capacity of water)

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure how to set up the equation. any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
forgot to mention m = mass

Okay i don't know how to use imperial so i can only guide you with explanations.

your equations are correct you just need this little bit of information

the system is insulated therefore there is no net energy loss.

the heat gained by water is the heat lost by copper

i.e Q(water)=-Q(copper).

therefore if you set up that equation (with the equations you have given), you will be able to find the final temperature. taking note of both their initial temperatures.

hope i helped.

thanks, just sorted out the problem.

Wow! Copper at 12540 deg. F! What is that? Superheated copper vapor?

Sorry, Typo. should have been 1250 deg. F.

Related to Find Equilibrium Temp. of Copper & Water Mixture

1. How do you determine the equilibrium temperature of a copper and water mixture?

The equilibrium temperature of a copper and water mixture can be determined by using the formula Qc = -Qh. Qc represents the heat released by the copper and Qh represents the heat absorbed by the water. By setting these two values equal to each other and solving for temperature, you can find the equilibrium temperature.

2. What factors can affect the equilibrium temperature of a copper and water mixture?

The equilibrium temperature of a copper and water mixture can be affected by several factors such as the initial temperatures of the copper and water, the amount of copper and water used, and the rate of heat transfer between the two substances. Other external factors like ambient temperature and pressure can also have an impact on the equilibrium temperature.

3. Can the equilibrium temperature of a copper and water mixture be calculated without using equations?

Yes, the equilibrium temperature of a copper and water mixture can also be determined experimentally by mixing various combinations of copper and water and measuring the resulting temperature. This method is often used in laboratory settings to validate the results obtained through equations.

4. Is the equilibrium temperature of a copper and water mixture affected by the type of container used?

In most cases, the type of container used does not have a significant impact on the equilibrium temperature of a copper and water mixture. However, if the container has a high thermal conductivity, it can affect the rate of heat transfer and therefore, alter the equilibrium temperature. It is important to use containers with similar thermal conductivity for accurate results.

5. Can the equilibrium temperature of a copper and water mixture change over time?

Yes, the equilibrium temperature of a copper and water mixture can change over time due to factors such as external temperature changes, heat loss to the surroundings, and changes in the initial temperatures of the copper and water. It is important to conduct experiments in a controlled environment and record the temperature changes over time to accurately determine the equilibrium temperature.