Find Final Position: u, a, & r

In summary, the problem asks to find the position (r) when the vector comes to rest. The given information includes the initial velocity vector u= -14i-7j and the acceleration vector a= 6i+3j. The person seeking help is new to this and is unsure of how to solve the problem, but has attempted to do so by setting v=0 and using differentiation. They are also unsure of how to approach the problem if it were not using vectors, but suggests using kinematic formulas.
thunderflap

Homework Statement

find the position (r) when the vector comes to rest.

Homework Equations

initially velocity = 'u', acceleration = a
u= -14i-7j
a= 6i+3j

The Attempt at a Solution

hey guys I am new at this so i didnt know how to post it but some help would be great :)
i tried solving it for when v=0 but i didnt know how, neither could i differentiate it :/

Physics news on Phys.org
,sdf

thunderflap said:

Homework Statement

find the position (r) when the vector comes to rest.

Homework Equations

initially velocity = 'u', acceleration = a
u= -14i-7j
a= 6i+3j

The Attempt at a Solution

hey guys I am new at this so i didnt know how to post it but some help would be great :)
i tried solving it for when v=0 but i didnt know how, neither could i differentiate it :/

Hi thunderflap, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Were you given an initial position vector too?

What are the (calculus) relationships between position, velocity, and acceleration? If this had been a problem not using vectors and you were given separate x and y components for acceleration and initial velocity, what would your approach be? What kinematic formulas might you employ?

Last edited:

Related to Find Final Position: u, a, & r

1. What is "Find Final Position: u, a, & r"?

"Find Final Position: u, a, & r" is a mathematical formula used to calculate the final position of an object given its initial velocity (u), acceleration (a), and displacement (r). It is commonly used in physics and engineering to predict the motion of objects.

2. How is "Find Final Position: u, a, & r" calculated?

The formula for "Find Final Position: u, a, & r" is r = u*t + 1/2*a*t^2, where r is the final position, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed. This formula is derived from the equations of motion in classical mechanics.

3. Can "Find Final Position: u, a, & r" be used for all types of motion?

Yes, "Find Final Position: u, a, & r" can be used for any type of motion as long as the acceleration is constant. This includes linear motion, circular motion, and projectile motion.

4. What are the units for u, a, and r in "Find Final Position: u, a, & r"?

The units for u and r are typically meters per second (m/s) and meters (m), respectively. The units for a depend on the type of acceleration (e.g. meters per second squared for linear acceleration and radians per second squared for angular acceleration).

5. How accurate is "Find Final Position: u, a, & r" in predicting an object's motion?

"Find Final Position: u, a, & r" is a highly accurate formula for predicting an object's motion as long as the initial conditions are known and the acceleration remains constant. However, it may not be as accurate for complex systems with varying acceleration or external forces.