Find frequency of oscillating electron in electric field

In summary, the conversation is about finding the frequency of oscillation for an electron released from rest in an electric field. The attempted solution involves finding the electric field using Coulomb's Law and then using the assumption z<<a,b to simplify the expression. However, the resulting expression for E is zero and needs to be redone. The ultimate goal is to find the force on the electron in the form of F = -kz.
gacky27

Homework Statement

An electron is released from rest in an electric field (see picture attachment, it should explain everything). Upon release, it will oscillate due to the positive electric field. Find the frequency with which it oscillates.

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law
Equation of an electrostatic field

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I found the electric field. I then used Coulomb's Law to find the force exerted by the field on the electron. I'm a little stuck from this point on.

Attachments

• Electric Field and Electron.jpg
    Electric Field and Electron.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 648
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Please show your results so far! What is the force on the electron that you derived?

Once you have the force, use the assumption z«a,b to get an approximate, simpler expression.

I've actually tried that. It turns out to be zero when I do that, which can't be right. My result for E was:

-(σ/2εo)[(z/b)-(z/a)]

If I plug in z<<a,b I just get zero

My initial train of thought was to find E, use F=qE, then go from there.

Perhaps the value for E i found is wrong? I'll have to go back and redo it I guess.

gacky27 said:
I've actually tried that. It turns out to be zero when I do that, which can't be right. My result for E was:

-(σ/2εo)[(z/b)-(z/a)]

If I plug in z<<a,b I just get zero

My initial train of thought was to find E, use F=qE, then go from there.

Perhaps the value for E i found is wrong? I'll have to go back and redo it I guess.
That looks good so far.

Can you rewrite your expression for E, so that it is

E = something × z​

Eventually, you want to come up with a force for the electron in the form:

F = - k z

where k is a constant expression involving σ, εo, etc.

To find the frequency of oscillation, we can use the equation for simple harmonic motion: f = 1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the period of oscillation. The period of oscillation can be found using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the electron and k is the spring constant of the electric field.

To find the spring constant, we can use the equation k = F/x, where F is the force exerted on the electron and x is the displacement of the electron from its equilibrium position.

Once we have the spring constant, we can plug it into the equation for the period of oscillation and then use that to calculate the frequency.

However, it is important to note that the frequency of oscillation may vary depending on the strength of the electric field and the initial position and velocity of the electron. So, the frequency we calculate may not be the exact frequency of oscillation for this specific scenario, but it can give us an estimate.

Q1: What is the equation for finding the frequency of an oscillating electron in an electric field?

The equation is f = qE/2πm, where f is the frequency, q is the charge of the electron, E is the strength of the electric field, and m is the mass of the electron.

Q2: How does the strength of the electric field affect the frequency of the oscillating electron?

The frequency is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. This means that as the strength of the electric field increases, the frequency of the oscillating electron also increases.

Q3: Can the frequency of an oscillating electron be negative?

No, the frequency of an oscillating electron cannot be negative. It is a measure of the number of oscillations per unit time, and therefore must always be a positive value.

Q4: Is there a limit to the frequency of an oscillating electron in an electric field?

Yes, there is a limit to the frequency of an oscillating electron in an electric field. This limit is determined by the strength of the electric field and the mass of the electron. As the strength of the electric field increases, the frequency also increases, but it cannot exceed a certain value determined by the mass of the electron.

Q5: How is the frequency of an oscillating electron in an electric field related to its kinetic energy?

The frequency of an oscillating electron is directly proportional to its kinetic energy. This means that as the frequency increases, so does the kinetic energy of the electron. This relationship is described by the equation E = hf, where E is the kinetic energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency.