Find function with given boundary conditions

In summary, the conversation is about finding a function that satisfies Laplace's equation, is equal to 0 at all possible infinities, and has a value of ±U/2 at the electrodes. The function is initially approximated using Green's function, but it does not satisfy the boundary conditions. The speaker then proposes a new function with a defined radius for the electrodes, but doubts its validity. The conversation concludes with the speaker realizing that a constant needs to be added to the logarithm in order for the function to work, and this constant is a function of a, U, and R.
skrat

Homework Statement

I have an infinite plate of which two electrodes are attached at a distance ##2a## and the electric potential between them is ##U##.
Now I have to find a function ##\phi (x,y)## that satisfies Laplace's equation ##\nabla ^2 \phi =0## and is equal to ##0## at all possible infinities but at the same time equal to ##\pm \frac U 2## at (or at least very close to) the electrodes.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem was once already on this forums but he couldn't find and ending. The idea then was to find the function that satisfies all given conditions, but since we never studied Green's functions I assume I don't have to do that, therefore I am now (and also since physicists do that) trying to simply guess the right function.

Green's Function in 2D is something like ##G(x,y)=\frac{1}{4\pi}ln(x^2+y^2)##, but in my case having two electrodes at points ##(\pm a,0)## and knowing that my function has to be ##0## in infinity, it HAS to look similar to this:

##G(x,y)=G_1(x,y)-G_2(x,y)=\frac{1}{4\pi}ln((x-a)^2+y^2)-\frac{1}{4\pi}ln((x+a)^2+y^2)=\frac{1}{4\pi}ln(\frac{(x-a)^2+y^2}{(x+a)^2+y^2})##

Capture.PNG

This is almost great, because ##G(\pm \infty, \pm \infty)=0## but sadly ##G(\pm a, 0)## will NEVER be ##\frac U 2## because in point ##(\pm a, 0)## my function has a pole and therefore goes towards ##\pm \infty##.

So my idea to approximate my electrodes as point charges may not be the best one, therefore I defined a radius ##R## of the electrodes to move away from the pole. This helps a bit, but maybe not enough. My new function therefore looks something like:

##\left\{\begin{matrix}
\frac U 2, (x,y)\in K((a,0),R)\\
-\frac U 2,(x,y)\in K((-a,0),R)\\
\frac{1}{4\pi}ln(\frac{(x-a)^2+y^2}{(x+a)^2+y^2}),\text{For all other (x,y)}
\end{matrix}\right.##

with boundary conditions ##G(\pm \infty, \pm \infty)=0## but also ##G((x,y)\in K((a,0),R))=\frac U 2## and ##G((x,y)\in K((-a,0),R)=-\frac U 2##. Well, this is to me a bit hard to solve (actually, I have no idea how to do it), so I tried to say that ##R<<a## or even better ##R<<1## which can approximate my boundary conditions to ##G(a-R,0)=\frac U 2## and ##G(-a+R,0)=-\frac U 2##.

However, this limits me to only certain radius of electrodes. Therefore I seriously doubt my method is ok. Because from conditon ##G(a-R,0)=\frac{1}{2\pi}ln(\frac{R}{R-2a})=\frac U 2## I get an equation for radius ##R##:
##R(a,U)=2a\frac{1}{1-exp(-\pi U)}##

Speaking as a really stupid person: This confuses me. Why would the radius of my electrodes have a minimum value? My electrodes are as big as they are. Why is my radius a function of ##a## and ##U##? I would really like to get a second opinion about that.

Also, I am sure this is wrong because my radius rapidly approaches to a point where ##R<<a## is no longer true!
Capture1.PNG

(Red dashed lines are ##2a##, the ##x## axis is voltage ##U## and the blue line is radius ##R##. Picture is therefore for three different values of ##a##)
Capture2.PNG

Also 3D

So my problems are:
1. Is this wrong? If yes, why?
2. How do I proceed?

In case nobody understands my crazy English here...: My problem is to guess a function that satisfies Laplace's equation, is ##0## at all possible infinities and has a value of ##\pm \frac U 2## at electrodes.
I assume is has to look something like ##\frac{1}{4\pi}ln(\frac{(x-a)^2+y^2}{(x+a)^2+y^2})## but this function has to be somehow manipulated in order to be ##\pm \frac U 2## in point ##(\pm a,0)##. My question: How?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, the solution is really simple. :)

You just have to put another constant in front of the logarithm, than everything works perfectly.
The constant is than a function of ##a##, ##U## and ##R##. Which makes sense!

Thanks, for all the help! :D

1. How do I find a function with given boundary conditions?

To find a function with given boundary conditions, you can use various methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of variation of parameters, or the Laplace transform method. These methods involve solving differential equations and using the given boundary conditions to determine the specific function.

2. What are boundary conditions in mathematics?

Boundary conditions are constraints or requirements that a mathematical function must satisfy at specific points or intervals. These conditions are usually given as part of a problem or equation and are used to determine the specific form of the function.

3. Can I use any function to satisfy given boundary conditions?

No, not all functions can satisfy given boundary conditions. The function must have the necessary properties and satisfy the specific constraints imposed by the boundary conditions. For example, if the boundary conditions require the function to be continuous, then not all functions will satisfy this requirement.

4. Are there different types of boundary conditions?

Yes, there are different types of boundary conditions such as Dirichlet boundary conditions, Neumann boundary conditions, and Robin boundary conditions. These conditions specify different aspects of the function at the boundary points or intervals, such as the function value, derivative, or a combination of both.

5. What is the importance of finding a function with given boundary conditions?

Finding a function with given boundary conditions is important in various fields of science and engineering, as it allows us to model and solve real-world problems. For example, in physics, it is used to describe the behavior of physical systems, while in engineering, it is used to design and optimize structures and systems.