Find light bulb surface temp from temperature measurements

In summary, the problem is to calculate the temperature of the surface of a bulb based on 3 data points of steady state temperature at 3 locations. The bulb is assumed to be a hemispherical radiation source and the relevant equations are provided. To accurately determine the temperature, it is necessary to find a suitable shape for the temperature distribution through simulation or other means and then fit it to the data. Simply using a straight line to fit the data will not yield accurate results.
dons33

Homework Statement

I have 3 data points of steady state temperature at 3 locations some distance away from a bulb, I need to calculate the temperature of the surface of the bulb. It would be best to assume the bulb is a hemispherical radiation source, based on the experiment set-up

Homework Equations

q''=σ(Ts-Tsurr)4
I=E/∏
G=I∏

q=kAΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming the temperature distribution is not linear so using a line to fit the data then backing out the temp would not give an accurate result.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that will work at all.
If you can find a reasonable shape for the temperature distribution (based on a simulation or whatever), you can fit it - it is certainly not a straight line, but that does not matter for the fit.

1. How do you calculate the surface temperature of a light bulb?

To calculate the surface temperature of a light bulb, you will need to use the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the energy emitted by a blackbody is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. This means that the surface temperature can be calculated by taking the fourth root of the measured energy emitted from the light bulb.

2. What tools are needed to measure the temperature of a light bulb's surface?

To measure the temperature of a light bulb's surface, you will need a thermometer, a blackbody radiation detector, and a heat source. The thermometer will be used to measure the temperature of the heat source, while the blackbody radiation detector will be used to measure the energy emitted from the light bulb.

3. Is it safe to touch a light bulb's surface to measure its temperature?

No, it is not safe to touch a light bulb's surface to measure its temperature. Light bulbs can reach high temperatures and touching the surface can result in burns. It is important to use appropriate tools and safety precautions when measuring the temperature of a light bulb's surface.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the surface temperature measurement?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the surface temperature measurement. These include the distance between the light bulb and the thermometer or detector, the type of heat source used, and the surrounding environment (e.g. air flow or external heat sources).

5. Can the surface temperature of a light bulb be used to determine its brightness?

No, the surface temperature of a light bulb cannot be used to determine its brightness. The brightness of a light bulb is determined by the amount of energy it emits, which is not directly correlated to its surface temperature. Other factors such as the type of filament and voltage can also affect the brightness of a light bulb.