Find maximum W for a generator

In summary: You should have a general expression for dW/dR. You can't set r and... to anything until you know what r and... are. And the graph is of W, not dW/dR. You need to do a bit more work before you can graph W.I think I am done. I have found the minimum and maximum points. I was supposed to show that W is maximum when R = r. And R is minimum when R = 0. Which I have shown by plugging in values like 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and so on. So, I made a chart with R and W. And as I increased the
SagarPatil

Homework Statement

So a generation with an internal resistance r delivers a voltage E. The generator is connected to a electrical circuit with a resistance R. The work W done each second in sending a current through a circuit with a resistance R is given by W =E^2*R/(R+r)^2.

For constant r and E, show that W is a maximum when R=r. Sketch a graph of W as a function of R

Homework Equations

v=ir

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I am confused. I have solved for R, which is

R= (E^2/(2W))-r

If someone can explain the question, I will try to answer to question.

P.S it may look like a question from some electrical engineering book but its from a calculus book -.- (no answer)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
SagarPatil said:

Homework Statement

So a generation generator with an internal resistance r delivers a voltage E. The generator is connected to a electrical circuit with a resistance R. The work W done each second in sending a current through a circuit with a resistance R is given by W =E^2*R/(R+r)^2.

For constant r and E, show that W is a maximum when R=r. Sketch a graph of W as a function of R

Homework Equations

v=ir

R= (E^2/(2W))-r
Solving for R won't help you. To find the maximum value of a function of a single variable (R here, since r and E are assumed to be constants), find the derivative W'(R) and set it to zero.
SagarPatil said:

P.S it may look like a question from some electrical engineering book but its from a calculus book -.- (no answer)

Likes SagarPatil
BTW, in the future, please try to choose a thread title that is more informative. I have changed the title to "Find maximum W for a generator".

Likes SagarPatil
Mark44 said:
Solving for R won't help you. To find the maximum value of a function of a single variable (R here, since r and E are assumed to be constants), find the derivative W'(R) and set it to zero.

Okay, I have done some work. I found the derivative of W'(R) and set it to 0. Here is what I got
upload_2015-11-25_17-24-52.png

SagarPatil said:
Okay, I have done some work. I found the derivative of W'(R) and set it to 0. Here is what I got
View attachment 92408
You're not interested in dW/dx, whatever x is. You want to calculate dW/dR and set that equal to zero, not set R = 0. You also want to show that W is a maximum when r = R.

BTW, if you express W as the product of two expressions, rather than the quotient, you can save yourself some calculation when finding the derivative.

Last edited:
SteamKing said:
You're not interested in dW/dx, whatever x is. You want to calculate dW/dR and set that equal to zero, not set R = 0. You also want to show that W is a maximum when r = R.

BTW, if you express W as the product of two expressions, rather than the quotient, you can save yourself some calculation when finding the derivative.

I find product of two expression harder to do.

So I derived for dW/DR and this is what I got
upload_2015-11-29_17-20-47.png

If I set R = 0
I would just get 0.

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-29_17-14-56.png
    upload_2015-11-29_17-14-56.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 441
Here's what I said earlier, in post #2.
Mark44 said:

I didn't say anything about setting R to zero -- I said you should set W'(R) to zero.

SagarPatil said:
I find product of two expression harder to do.

I find that astounding.

If f(x) = g(x) * h(x), then f'(x) = g(x) * h'(x) + g'(x)*h(x)

whereas

if f(x) = g(x) / h(x), then f'(x) = [g'(x)* h(x) - g(x)*h'(x)] / h2(x)
So I derived for dW/DR and this is what I got
View attachment 92600
Which is incorrect, BTW.
If I set R = 0
I would just get 0.

And Mark44 is right. You don't set R = 0, you set dW/dR = 0, which is different. But you must calculate the correct expression for dW/dR.

SteamKing said:
I find that astounding.

If f(x) = g(x) * h(x), then f'(x) = g(x) * h'(x) + g'(x)*h(x)

whereas

if f(x) = g(x) / h(x), then f'(x) = [g'(x)* h(x) - g(x)*h'(x)] / h2(x)

Which is incorrect, BTW.And Mark44 is right. You don't set R = 0, you set dW/dR = 0, which is different. But you must calculate the correct expression for dW/dR.

So, I was wondering, When you find the expression of dW/dR, do you need to find the second derivation of it to graph it or just find the fist derivation of dW/dR and set it to 0.

SagarPatil said:
So, I was wondering, When you find the expression of dW/dR, do you need to find the second derivation of it to graph it or just find the fist derivation of dW/dR and set it to 0.
The value of R which makes dW/dR = 0 is the value which either maximizes or minimizes W.

It should be easy to determine which is which without calculating d2W/dR2

SteamKing said:
The value of R which makes dW/dR = 0 is the value which either maximizes or minimizes W.

It should be easy to determine which is which without calculating d2W/dR2

So I found the expression for dW/dR
upload_2015-12-3_18-51-35.png

After the deravation, if I set dW/dR to 0, and set r and E to 1, I get a L shape graph. The x and y basically start from origin and y is + and x is positive

Attachments

• upload_2015-12-3_18-48-23.png
    upload_2015-12-3_18-48-23.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
Please post your work as text rather than as an image. Posting an image makes it impossible for us to insert a comment at the point of a mistake. Instead, we have to give the location where you are in error, which makes more work for us.

SagarPatil said:
View attachment 92843

After the deravation, if I set dW/dR to 0, and set r and E to 1, I get a L shape graph.
There is no need to set r and E to any particular values.

"Keep your eye on the prize." -- the goal here is to show that W is at its largest when R = r.
SagarPatil said:
The x and y basically start from origin and y is + and x is positive
The variables are R and W. Neither x nor y appear in this problem.

What you ended with is correct, but it can be written in a slightly more simplified form:
##\frac{dW}{dR} = \frac{E^2(r - R)}{(R + r)^3}##
What does it take for a fraction to be zero? There is absolutely nothing to gain by expanding ##(R + r)^3##.

SagarPatil said:
View attachment 92843

After the deravation, if I set dW/dR to 0, and set r and E to 1, I get a L shape graph. The x and y basically start from origin and y is + and x is positive
The first line of your work contains an error.

W = E2*R/(R+r)2 not dW/dR = E2*R/(R+r)2

You would run into less algebra if you wrote

W = E2*R * (R+r)-2

and then used the Product Rule to find dW/dR

if somebody has full solution to this problem pls post an image solving or a word file.

SagarPatil said:

Homework Statement

So a generation with an internal resistance r delivers a voltage E. The generator is connected to a electrical circuit with a resistance R. The work W done each second in sending a current through a circuit with a resistance R is given by W =E^2*R/(R+r)^2.

Homework Equations

v=ir

R= (E^2/(2W))-r

Its actually the 'Maximum power transfer theorem' in electrical engineering.
W=E2*R/(R+r)2.
Find dW/dR and equate it to 0 as already explained in #13 by SteamKing.

cnh1995 said:
Its actually the 'maximum power transfer theorem' from electrical engineering.
W=E2*R/(R+r)2.
Find dW/dR and equate it to 0 as already explained in #13 by SteamKing.

I have found the solution to the answer. Thanks for helping everyone

gag1234 said:
if somebody has full solution to this problem pls post an image solving or a word file.
We don't do that here. From the rules for this forum:
From the rules (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/):
Giving Full Answers:
On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Complete solutions can be provided to a questioner after the questioner has arrived at a correct solution. If the questioner has not produced a correct solution, complete solutions are not permitted, whether or not an attempt has been made.

1. What is the maximum W for a generator?

The maximum W, or maximum power output, for a generator is the highest amount of electrical power that the generator is capable of producing. This value is determined by the generator's design and can vary depending on factors such as fuel type, size, and efficiency.

2. How do I find the maximum W for a generator?

The maximum W for a generator can be found by checking the generator's specifications or contacting the manufacturer. It may also be listed in the generator's user manual. Additionally, you can calculate the maximum W by multiplying the generator's voltage rating by its maximum amperage output.

3. Why is it important to know the maximum W for a generator?

Knowing the maximum W for a generator is important because it allows you to determine the generator's capacity and whether it can meet your power needs. It also helps prevent overloading the generator, which can damage it and potentially cause safety hazards.

4. Can the maximum W for a generator be increased?

The maximum W for a generator is determined by its design and cannot be increased beyond its capabilities. However, you can connect multiple generators in parallel to increase the overall power output.

5. Does the maximum W for a generator vary between different models?

Yes, the maximum W for a generator can vary between different models. It is important to carefully consider your power needs and choose a generator with a maximum W that can meet those needs. It is also important to note that the maximum W may decrease over time as the generator ages.