Find out polarity of device for using ac-dc adapter

In summary, to use the Edirol R-09HR High-Resolution WAVE/MP3 Recorder with an AC-DC adapter, you will need to determine the polarity of the input on the device. The best way to do this is by removing the battery and measuring which side of the battery holder connects to the outer side of the input plug. This will tell you the polarity. If you want to use a Radio-Shack adapter, you will need to control the charging rate externally. It is recommended to use the Roland AC adapter specifically designed for this device, as stated in the user manual. This is a high-end product and using the wrong adapter may damage it. Refer to the user manual for more information on charging and
aspfun
I have a audio recorder (Edirol R-09HR High-Resolution WAVE/MP3 Recorder) need to use ac-dc adapter.
There is no any marker to tell me polarity of input in this device.
(I check the adapter from amazon.com for this device which I do not have, there is no marker as well)
I have a Radio-Shack ac-dc adapter which I can adjust polarity.
The porblem is how to find out this audio recorder input polarity, that is, is pin "+" or "-"?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It runs off battery power, so remove the battery and measure to find out which side of the battery holder connects to the outer side of the input plug. This will tell you the polarity.

It can use two NiMH AA cells, so the supplied AC adaptor would have delivered about 4 volts, but it may have included circuitry to limit the charging current.

You can tell this by measuring as above (from the battery holder to the input plug) but check where both battery connectors go on the input plug.
If they both connect directly, you would need to control the charging rate externally.

Roland supply an AC adaptor so you may be able to get a replacement if yours is not working or you have lost it.

This is a high end product and you may damage it if you are not sure about this. So, you would need to get the proper adaptor.

I found the user manual for this.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=960

It says that the unit cannot recharge NiMH batteries, so you have to charge them yourself.

It also says several times that you should use their adaptor. While this may be to their advantage, you probably should follow this advice.

1. What is the purpose of determining the polarity of a device when using an AC-DC adapter?

The polarity of a device is important to determine when using an AC-DC adapter because it ensures that the correct electrical current is flowing through the device. Connecting the adapter with the wrong polarity can damage the device and potentially cause a safety hazard.

2. How can I find out the polarity of my device?

The polarity of a device can usually be found in the device's manual or on the device itself. It is typically labeled as either positive (+) or negative (-). If you are unable to find this information, you can also use a multimeter to measure the polarity.

3. What is the process for determining the polarity of a device?

The process for determining the polarity of a device involves using a multimeter set to measure DC voltage. First, plug in the adapter to a power source. Then, touch the positive (red) probe of the multimeter to the positive terminal of the adapter and the negative (black) probe to the negative terminal. If the reading on the multimeter is positive, the polarity of the device is positive (+). If the reading is negative, the polarity is negative (-).

4. Can I use an AC-DC adapter with a device that has opposite polarity?

No, it is important to match the polarity of the device and the adapter. If the device has a positive (+) polarity, you must use an adapter with a positive polarity as well. Using an adapter with the opposite polarity can cause damage to the device and potentially create a safety hazard.

5. Are there any specific safety precautions I should take when determining the polarity of a device?

Yes, it is important to always exercise caution when working with electricity. Make sure to unplug the adapter from the power source before attempting to determine the polarity. Additionally, always follow the instructions provided by the device manufacturer and use proper safety equipment, such as insulated gloves, when handling electrical components.