How Do You Calculate Resistance in a Circuit Diagram?

In summary: So V2 = 15V, RT = 4 ohms, R1 = 10 ohms, R2 and I2 are not calculable without further information.In summary, the given circuit diagram does not provide enough information to solve for all quantities. V2 can be calculated as 15V and RT can be calculated as 4 ohms. However, R1, R2, and I2 cannot be determined without additional information.
ggb123
Hey, I would really appreciate any help with this question.

Homework Statement

Examine the following circuit diagram and state the value of a) V2 b) I2 c) R1 d) R2 e) RT

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3100/90933761.png

One solid circuit and no other information is given.

Homework Equations

V = IR

In series, RT = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn
In parallel, 1/RT = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved for a) V2 = 15V and e) RT = 4 ohms

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't provided enough info.

vela said:
You haven't provided enough info.

Thanks for the reply.

That was all the info provided in the question. That's what I thought myself, but this assignment's due tomorrow and I thought I'd get some feedback on what other people thought.

Again, thanks

Well, you can solve for some of those quantities, but not all. I can say that your answer for V2 and RT are wrong.

How did you calculate those?

vela said:
Well, you can solve for some of those quantities, but not all. I can say that your answer for V2 and RT are wrong.

How did you calculate those?

For V2: In a series circuit VT = V1 + V2 + ... + Vn
In a parallel circuit VT = V1= V2 = V3 = ... = Vn
I treat V2 and V3 as a single entity, since it is parallel within a series circuit.
Thus, VT = V1 + 2V2 = V1 + 2V3
40 = 10 + 2V2, 30 = 2V2, V2 = 15V
40 = 10 + 2V3, 30 = 2V3, V3 = 15V

RT = VT/IT = 40/10 = 4 ohms

can you see what i did wrong?

V2 and V3 don't add because they're not in series. When you use Kirchoff's voltage law, either V2 (if you use the inside loop) or V3 (if you use the outside loop) appears, but not both.

I'm not sure what I was thinking before, but I was wrong about RT. Your answer is correct.

You should be able to calculate R1, but to get R2 and I2 requires more information.

vela said:
V2 and V3 don't add because they're not in series. When you use Kirchoff's voltage law, either V2 (if you use the inside loop) or V3 (if you use the outside loop) appears, but not both.

I'm not sure what I was thinking before, but I was wrong about RT. Your answer is correct.

You should be able to calculate R1, but to get R2 and I2 requires more information.

Ah, thanks again

Related to How Do You Calculate Resistance in a Circuit Diagram?

1. What is the formula for finding resistance given voltage?

The formula for finding resistance given voltage is R=V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current.

2. How do I calculate resistance if I only know the voltage?

If you only know the voltage, you can use the formula R=V/I and substitute the known voltage for V. You will also need to know the current to complete the calculation.

3. Can I find resistance given voltage without knowing the current?

No, it is not possible to find resistance given voltage without knowing the current. The formula R=V/I requires both voltage and current to be known.

4. What units are used for resistance and voltage?

Resistance is measured in ohms (Ω) and voltage is measured in volts (V).

5. How accurate is the calculation for finding resistance given voltage?

The accuracy of the calculation for finding resistance given voltage depends on the accuracy of the measurements for voltage and current. If the measurements are precise, the calculation will be accurate.