Find roots of complex equation (1-x)^5 = x^5

In summary, to find the roots of the complex equation (1-x)^5 = x^5, we can use the fifth root on both sides and then solve for x by setting a=\alpha_i b, where \alpha_i is one of the fifth roots of unity. This gives us 5 equations to solve for x. Additionally, we can take the complex root and get a linear equation in x parametrized by the number \omega, where \omega is a fifth root of unity. Solving for x will give us the possible values for \omega.
DryRun
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Probably Euler and/or De Moivre.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know i need to have z^5 on one side and all the rest on the other side. But i need 5 roots, and I'm only getting one.

(1-x)^5 = x^5
Use fifth root on both sides.
(1-x) = x
2x= 1
x = 1/2 (only one solution, which i know is wrong, but no idea how to proceed).

Physics news on Phys.org
sharks said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Probably Euler and/or De Moivre.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know i need to have z^5 on one side and all the rest on the other side. But i need 5 roots, and I'm only getting one.

(1-x)^5 = x^5
Use fifth root on both sides.
(1-x) = x
2x= 1
x = 1/2 (only one solution, which i know is wrong, but no idea how to proceed).

You have the right idea here. But (like you thought), it isn't true that [itex]a^5=b^5[/itex] implies a=b. However, we can fix this:

If [itex]a^5=b^5[/itex] (and they are nonzero), then [itex]\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)^5=1[/itex]. So a/b are fifth roots of unity. There are 5 fifth roots of unity. So let [itex]\alpha_i[/itex] be one of the fifth roots of unity, then we have

[tex]\frac{a}{b}=\alpha_i[/tex]

And thus

[tex]a=\alpha_i b[/tex]

So, if [itex]a^5=b^5[/itex], then [itex]a=\alpha_i b[/itex] where we take [itex]\alpha_i[/itex] the fifth roots of unity. This gives us 5 equations.

Try that on your equation.

Take the complex root, to get:

[tex]
1 - x = \omega \, x, \; \omega^{5} = 1
[/tex]

You get a linear equation in [itex]x[/itex] parametrized by the number [itex]\omega[/itex]. Solve it for [itex]x[/itex]. What are the possible values for [itex]\omega[/itex]?

1. What is the meaning of finding roots of a complex equation?

Finding roots of a complex equation means finding values of the variable that satisfy the equation when substituted in. In other words, it is finding the values of the variable that make the equation true.

2. How many roots does the equation (1-x)^5 = x^5 have?

This equation has five roots, as indicated by the exponent of 5 on both sides of the equation. This means that there are five values of x that will satisfy the equation.

3. Can the roots of this equation be complex numbers?

Yes, the roots of this equation can be complex numbers. This is because the equation involves exponentiation and both sides have the same degree, which allows for the possibility of complex roots.

4. How can I find the roots of this equation?

To find the roots of this equation, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring or the quadratic formula. You can also use graphical or numerical methods, such as plotting the equation on a graph or using a calculator to approximate the roots.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when finding the roots of this equation?

Yes, there is one special case to consider when finding the roots of this equation. If the exponent on one side of the equation is odd and the other side is even, then there will be one real root and the rest will be complex. In the case of this equation, both sides have an exponent of 5, so all five roots will be complex.