Find the coefficient of kinetic friction problem

I think... The net force in the vertical direction is 0, so the sum of all forces in the vertical direction is 0. The force of friction is the only horizontal force, and it is the only force that does work. The force the woman exerts is upward at an angle. You need to find the vertical component of the force she exerts, and use that, not the entire force.In summary, the flight attendant pulls her 70.0 N flight bag a distance of 253 m at a constant velocity. The work she does on the flight bag is 6230.5 J and the work done on the flight bag is -6230.5 J. To find the coefficient of kinetic
Tabe
Ok, here is my dilemma: A flight attendant pulls her 70.0 N flight bag a distance of 253 m along a level airport floor at a constant velocity. The force she exerts is 40.0 N at an angle of 52 degrees above the horizontal. Find the following:
a) the work she does on the flight bag
b) the work done on the flight bag
c) the coefficient of kinetic friction between the flight bag and the floor

What I did for a was, I multiplied the force of the bag (70)*the distance (253)*cos(theta). For the answere I got 10903.4 J.
Then for b, I did the same thing, except used 40, and I got 6230.5
Am I doing this right so far?
For c, I have no clue how to solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction. Whenever I try an equation, it comes out greater than one, or, I have another variable to solve for.
Is there something that I am forgettting in the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you get the right answer for a) and b) ??

I think for a) all you have to do is:

[tex]
W = F_{she}\Delta x =( 40 \cos 52 )(253) = 6230.5
[/tex]

for b)

it should be -6230.5. just change the sign.

for c) - u need to consider friction, remember that:

[tex]F_{friction} = mg\mu = 700\mu[/tex]

since, it is in constant velocity, this means that:

[tex]F_{she} = F_{friction}[/tex]

so the friction coefficient is... 0.0571428571

From the question it seems like the 70N is the bag's weight. ie mg=70N.

For part a, I think you need to use 40N instead of 70N, since that is the force the flight attendant exerts on the flight bag.

For part b, remember that total work done on a body is equal to its change in kinetic energy. How much does the kinetic energy change?

For part 3, remember that acceleration in the horizontal direction is 0. So what is the net force in the horizontal direction? Use this to figure out the frictional force.

To find the coefficient of friction you need the equation:
[tex]f_{k}=u_{k}N [/tex] where N is normal force. To find out N, use the fact that the bag is not accelerating vertically. hint: there are 3 different forces in the vertical direction.

Always use a free-body diagram for these problems. Makes things easier, and makes sure you don't miss anything.

Last edited:
The bag's weight is downward force. In calculating work, you use only the component of force in the direction of movement.

You need to remember that for the net work on the bag, you must include the other factors. The crate's weight, friction, normal force, and the force applied by the women. Because the normal force and weight are equal forces, and act in opposite directions they will cancel out.

So you will have the equation:

Work(net) = Work(gravity) + Work(normal) + Work(women) + Work(friction)

Just calculate each and add.

Last edited:
Tjl said:
Because the normal force and weight are equal forces, and act in opposite directions they will cancel out.

This is incorrect. Normal force and weight are not equal in this case. There are 3 forces in the vertical direction: the normal force, the weight, AND the vertical component of the force exerted by the woman on the bag. ALL 3 add to 0.

Always use a free body diagram. Otherwise you might miss something.

To reinforce what Halls of Ivy told you, you always disregard any force that is 90 degrees away from the direction of displacement. If there were a force at 89 degrees, you would find the vector components and use that horizontal component, no matter how small. It's not because normal force and weight counteract each other. It is because work only occurs in there is displacement in a particular direction. Learning Physics is right, always use a vector diagram.

For part c, I always remember to have Fun. Frictional Force=coeff of friction*normal force. Rearrange and solve for u. (I know, it's not a u, it's a mu, but who wants to have fmun?)

learningphysics said:
This is incorrect. Normal force and weight are not equal in this case. There are 3 forces in the vertical direction: the normal force, the weight, AND the vertical component of the force exerted by the woman on the bag. ALL 3 add to 0.

Always use a free body diagram. Otherwise you might miss something.
Thank you for pointing that out. I believe I calculated it neglecting the magnitude of the angle. So I just said that the forces perpendicular to the displacement cancel.

But the equation is still right!

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two objects in motion. It is represented by the symbol μ and is a unitless value between 0 and 1.

2. How do you calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction?

To calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction, you need to know the normal force and the force of friction between two objects. The equation is μ = Ff/N, where μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction, Ff is the force of friction, and N is the normal force.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the smoothness of the surfaces, and the amount of force applied. It also depends on the presence of any lubricants or other substances between the surfaces.

4. How can the coefficient of kinetic friction be useful in real-life situations?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be useful in determining the amount of force needed to move an object, as well as in designing machines and structures that require sliding or rolling motion. It is also important in understanding the performance of tires and brakes on vehicles.

5. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is the measure of friction between two objects in motion, while the coefficient of static friction is the measure of friction between two objects at rest. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction, as it takes more force to overcome the initial resistance and initiate motion.