Checking Your Work: Did I Solve #14 Correctly?

• Thread starter Marcin H
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary: If you were asking me, about that thing I did, and that thing was posting those images, see the following. Otherwise, Doc Al and others, will continue working with you.In summary, you need to use the Snipping Tool in Windows to take a snapshot of the portion of your monitor's screen that is relevant to solving a problem, paste it into the reply window of PF , and specify the direction of the current in order to find the equations.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Did I do number 14 correctly? I have a feeling it's not that simple.

Homework Equations

V=IR
i1=i2+i3+...In

The Attempt at a Solution

on picture

Attachments

• CCI23012016_3.pdf
    530.4 KB · Views: 199
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 3.52.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 3.52.22 PM.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

Marcin H said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

V=IR
i1=i2+i3+...In

The Attempt at a Solution

on picture
That's correct.

Doc Al said:
Looks good to me.
Ok good. I am stuck on #15 now. I'm haven't seen this kind of circuit yet, so I'm not sure how to apply kirchhoffs current law. I think A, B, and D are correct, but I'm not sure. I think all the squares in the circuit are power sources, but I'm not sure where to start in this circuit to make my loop and write out my equation.

Marcin H said:
I'm haven't seen this kind of circuit yet, so I'm not sure how to apply kirchhoffs current law.
Kirchoff's current law just says, for any point, the currents going into the point must equal those going out of the point. (You don't need to know anything about that kind of circuit to apply the law to each point.)

Marcin H said:
Ok good. I am stuck on #15 now. I'm haven't seen this kind of circuit yet, so I'm not sure how to apply kirchhoffs current law. I think A, B, and D are correct, but I'm not sure. I think all the squares in the circuit are power sources, but I'm not sure where to start in this circuit to make my loop and write out my equation.
Do you know how to do screen shots, or use the snipping tool ? It's much more likely that you get help if we don't have to open new tabs/windows on our browser.
upload_2016-1-23_16-28-41.png

upload_2016-1-23_16-29-20.png

All that is required for this problem is to apply Kirchhoff's Current Law.

You do not need to know what the squares represent at all.

Likes Marcin H
Hint: Write an equation for each point where wires connect. (The three dots in the diagram.) Then compare those equations with the choices given.

Marcin H said:
It looks like you specified the units of the result as mA. That would be milliamps. Was that your intention?

Likes Marcin H and Suraj M
gneill said:
It looks like you specified the units of the result as mA. That would be milliamps. Was that your intention?
Good eye!

Doc Al said:
for any point, the currents going into the point must equal those going out of the point.
I'm having a hard time with this. How do you know what is going in and what is coming out exactly. All the currents can come out of one point. I was trying to write an equation for the point above box c, but how can I tell what is going in and out. Also, I thought current flows to the spot with least resistance.
Edit: Also, I think I would understand this there were 2 points/junctions, but how do I do this with three?

gneill said:
Fixed. Thanks!

SammyS said:
Do you know how to do screen shots, or use the snipping tool ? It's much more likely that you get help if we don't have to open new tabs/windows on our browser.
View attachment 94717
View attachment 94718

All that is required for this problem is to apply Kirchhoff's Current Law.

You do not need to know what the squares represent at all.
Sorry, I'm new here. How did you do that exactly?

Marcin H said:
How do you know what is going in and what is coming out exactly.
The currents have directions, specified by the arrows.

Marcin H said:
Sorry, I'm new here. How did you do that exactly?
OK.

One of the first things to learn here is to make it clear as to what post (you did that fine) or what part of a post you are responding to.

If you were asking me, about that thing I did, and that thing was posting those images, see the following. Otherwise, Doc Al and others, will continue working with you.

In (Microsoft) Windows, there is a "Snipping Tool" application. Find it in the Applications folder in the list of programs.

It will take a 'snapshot' of the portion of your monitor's screen, that portion being determined by what you highlight. You may need to use the help feature provided by the Snipping Tool or google for more details.

Once you take a snapshot of whatever is of interest, you simply paste it into the reply window of PF .

Doc Al said:
The currents have directions, specified by the arrows.
I know, but I still don't see how I can find my equations. This is a very weird circuit. It looks like you can have many possibilities. EX. i1=i3+i4-i2 or i2=i3+i4-i1 (these 2 are the same thing actually). i5=-i3-i4 or i3 = i5+i4 (not sure about this one).

SammyS said:
OK.

One of the first things to learn here is to make it clear as to what post (you did that fine) or what part of a post you are responding to.

If you were asking me, about that thing I did, and that thing was posting those images, see the following. Otherwise, Doc Al and others, will continue working with you.

In (Microsoft) Windows, there is a "Snipping Tool" application. Find it in the Applications folder in the list of programs.

It will take a 'snapshot' of the portion of your monitor's screen, that portion being determined by what you highlight. You may need to use the help feature provided by the Snipping Tool or google for more details.

Once you take a snapshot of whatever is of interest, you simply paste it into the reply window of PF .
So I just copy paste a picture from a word document and it will display in a post like in your first post? Can I drag and drop pics from my desktop? Or is there a way to post them the way you did. i usually take a screenshot on my mac and post that.

Marcin H said:
So I just copy paste a picture from a word document and it will display in a post like in your first post? Can I drag and drop pics from my desktop? Or is there a way to post them the way you did. i usually take a screenshot on my mac and post that.
The Snipping Tool allows you to take a snap shot of a relatively small portion of the screen, rather than snapping the whole screen. I'm not very familiar with the details of what's available on the Mac.
I used the pdf file viewed in adobe reader and snapped a portion of that.

Yes, you can do the same with a word document.

Likes Marcin H
Marcin H said:
I know, but I still don't see how I can find my equations. This is a very weird circuit. It looks like you can have many possibilities. EX. i1=i3+i4-i2 or i2=i3+i4-i1 (these 2 are the same thing actually). i5=-i3-i4 or i3 = i5+i4 (not sure about this one).
You have four options. Check each option. You are asked to find which option(s) is(are) correct.

Marcin H said:
I know, but I still don't see how I can find my equations. This is a very weird circuit. It looks like you can have many possibilities.
There are three 'junctions', each marked by a dot. So you can have three equations.

Marcin H said:
EX. i1=i3+i4-i2 or i2=i3+i4-i1 (these 2 are the same thing actually). i5=-i3-i4 or i3 = i5+i4 (not sure about this one).
Good! But there's one more.

Now just check to see which of the given equations are consistent with those.

Doc Al said:
There are three 'junctions', each marked by a dot. So you can have three equations.Good! But there's one more.

Now just check to see which of the given equations are consistent with those.
One more? I can't find another. Re-arraging them i get A,B, and D fro my answers. i1+i2=i3+i4, i5=i1+i2, and i3+i4+i5=0

Marcin H said:
One more? I can't find another.
Do you agree that the diagram shows three junctions? Each one deserves its own equation.

Marcin H said:
i1+i2=i3+i4,
Good.

Marcin H said:
i5=i1+i2,
Almost, but not quite.

Marcin H said:
i3+i4+i5=0
Good.

Doc Al said:
Do you agree that the diagram shows three junctions? Each one deserves its own equation.
Hmm. So am I missing an equation for the junction above box C? it looks like i1, i2, and i5 would be coming out of that junction. So Does that mean i1+i2+i5=0?
upload_2016-1-23_16-29-20.png

Marcin H said:
Hmm. So am I missing an equation for the junction above box C? it looks like i1, i2, and i5 would be coming out of that junction. So Does that mean i1+i2+i5=0?
Exactly!

Likes Marcin H
Doc Al said:
Exactly!
Ok I see that now. Thanks! I have another question about Kirchoffs Voltage Law related to a different question. Should I make a new thread or may I ask here?

Go ahead and ask it here, if it's closely related.

Doc Al said:
Go ahead and ask it here, if it's closely related.
Ok. Did I do this problem correctly? I looked at the equations in the answers and then made loops that included those voltages and checked if they make sense. I don't know if this is the best way of looking at it. I think the correct answers are A, D, E.
Screen Shot 2016-01-24 at 12.10.44 PM.png

Also, quick side question about units. When using equations like P=IV or V=IR we use AMPS for our unit for current right? So if we are given 100mA we have to use .1A in the equation right?

Marcin H said:
Ok. Did I do this problem correctly? I looked at the equations in the answers and then made loops that included those voltages and checked if they make sense. I don't know if this is the best way of looking at it. I think the correct answers are A, D, E.
Sounds good to me.

Marcin H said:
Also, quick side question about units. When using equations like P=IV or V=IR we use AMPS for our unit for current right? So if we are given 100mA we have to use .1A in the equation right?
Yes, standard units are amperes for current, so 100 mA = .1A. Good!

Likes Marcin H
Awesome! Thanks!

Couple more questions. I think I did 18A correctly, but it looks like I did something wrong in 18B and 18C. Shouldn't my three answers from (C) add up to 1W, my asnwer in (B)? Not sure where I went wrong here.
New Doc 5_1.jpg

Marcin H said:
I think I did 18A correctly,
What you found is the total resistance of the circuit.

Doc Al said:
What you found is the total resistance of the circuit.
Oh, true... Hmm. So how else can I find the resistance? Should I find the voltage drop across the 20 ohm resistor and then subtract that from the source voltage and use that V in the equation? Or is their a different way.

Well, you found the total resistance. The only unknown is R, so solve for it. :smile:

Doc Al said:
Well, you found the total resistance. The only unknown is R, so solve for it. :smile:
Oh... lol. I keep over thinking everything. 100-20-60=20ohms. :sorry: I am so used to harder circuits from E&M that now I'm making dumb mistakes over easier problems. It all works out now. Thanks!:biggrin:

Doc Al said:
Hello again! Sorry have one last question! I thought I had this right, but then I started thinking about it and I'm not sure anymore. My thought was since the voltage was changing and the current was constant, that the source was a voltage source. I kinda thought of it as you changing the voltage on a power supply or something keeping the current constant. Is that right? I feel like it's not.
New Doc 6_1.jpg