Find the currents in the circuit branches

In summary, the current through each circuit branch is found by solving Kirchhoff's first and second rules. The current through loop 1 is found by solving Kirchhoff's first and second rules, and then using Kirchhoff's third rule to find I3.
endeavor
http://img335.imageshack.us/img335/8383/physics4a8ua.th.png http://img335.imageshack.us/img335/8000/physics4b6vo.th.png
"Find the currents in the circuit branches in [the first figure on the left above]."

V1 = 20V, V2 = 10V, R1 = 5.0 ohms, R2 = 4.0 ohms, R3 = 6.0 ohms, R4=R5=R6= 2.0 ohms

Rp-1 = 3/2 (from R4,R5,R6)
Rp = 2/3 ohms

I assigned loops in the second figure above. There are 6 different currents.
Using Kirchhoff's first rule:
(C1) I1 = I2 + I3
(C2) I3 = I4 + I5
(C3) I1 = 3I6
Then using the Kirchhoff's second rule, I get a bunch of equations (L1 = LOOP 1):
(L1) -V1 +I2R1 + I1Rp = 0
(L2) +V2 +I5R2 - I2R1 = 0
(L3) +I4R3 - I5R2 = 0
(L7) -V1 + V2 +I5R2 +I1Rp = 0
(L8) +V2 - I2R1 +I4R3 = 0
(L9) -V1 +I1Rp +I4R3 + V2 = 0
Then substituting values for the V's and R's:
(L1) 5*I2 + (2/3)*I1 = 20
(L2) 4*I5 - 5*I2 = -10
(L3) 6*I4 - 4*I5 = 0
(L7) 4*I5 + (2/3)*I1 = 10
(L8) -5*I2 + 6*I4 = -10
(L9) (2/3)*I1 + 6*I4 = 10
I then found that I3 = (5/2)*I4. Then using this equation, and equations C1 and L9, I finally got:
I1 = - 90/462 A = -0.19 A

I think the fact that my answer is negative only shows that I chose the wrong loop direction. But the absolute value of my answer is still wrong... help :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should simplify a bit more before assigning loops ... R2 || R3.
Then you have a loop on the left and a loop on the right.

- I_L R_P - (I_L - I_R) R_1 - V_1 = 0 ... because I_1(upward) = I_L - I_R
- I_R R_{2||3} + V_2 - (I_R - I_L) R_1 = 0 .

thanks! Simplifying really worked. After I simplified the parallel parts, I only had 3 loops, which was a lot easier to work with.

1. What is the purpose of finding the currents in a circuit?

Finding the currents in a circuit is important for understanding how electricity flows through a circuit and how it affects the components within the circuit. It also helps in troubleshooting and designing circuits for specific purposes.

2. How do you calculate the currents in a circuit?

The currents in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). This can also be represented as I = V/R.

3. What factors affect the currents in a circuit?

The currents in a circuit can be affected by the voltage applied to the circuit, the resistance of the components within the circuit, and the type of circuit configuration. Changes in any of these factors can alter the current flow in a circuit.

4. How does the type of circuit affect the currents?

The type of circuit, whether it is a series or parallel circuit, can affect the currents by changing the way the components are connected. In a series circuit, the current is the same throughout the circuit, while in a parallel circuit, the current is divided between branches based on the resistance of each branch.

5. Why is it important to find the currents in each branch of a circuit?

Finding the currents in each branch of a circuit is important for understanding the individual current flow in each component. This can help identify any issues or imbalances in the circuit, as well as aid in determining the overall power consumption of the circuit.