1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the distance that a force stretches a spring.

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A mass of 6.40 kg is hung from a spring with aforce constant of 7.80*10^3 N/m. The spring unstretched is 0.120m long. Find the distance that the spring stretches.

2. Relevant equations

F = k*x is the way that gives the answer in my textbook.

I tried W = 0.5*k*x^2.

3. The attempt at a solution

What is wrong with the following? I used W = 0.5*k*x^2 = 0.5*7800N/m*x^2 . Then made W = m*g*x. So, m*g*x = 0.5*7800N/m*x^2. Then I cancelled out the x from both sides, and isolate the remaining x, so x = (m*g)/(0.5*78000N/m) = 0.136m. My answer is close to the correct answer of x = 0.128m, but I would really like to know what I don't understand which led me to the wrong answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2013 #2
    Use Newton's 2nd law. Draw your FBD and correctly set up your terms for ƩF, knowing that the system is at static equilibirum. You'll be able to find the change in x of the spring from its unstretched length this way.

The x in your 'mgx' term (which in this case is also the gravitational potential energy) isn't the same as the x in your '.5mgx^2' term. Energy methods aren't always so convenient in these types of problems.

4. Apr 17, 2013 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi student34! :smile:
    you're using conservation of energy, which (correctly) gives you the lowest point of the motion if the mass is released from rest in the unstretched position, and allowed to oscillate up and down

but the question is about carefully lowering the mass until the system is in equilibrium :wink:

5. Apr 17, 2013 #4
    Thanks for both of these answers!!!

6. Apr 17, 2013 #5
    If I know the spring constant, I can calculate the displacement given the mass,
    mg=kx
    x=mg/k

6400*.00980665=62.76256N
    62.76256N/7800N=.008046482m.
    This must be wrong if the text book wants exactly .008m as displacement.
    So I fail. A for effort.

7. Apr 17, 2013 #6
    ...and the units in the last expression all must be labeled N/m.
    I am a disgrace to the profession.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted