Find the eigenfunction and eigenvalues of ##\sin\frac{d}{d\phi}##

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigenfunction and eigenvalues of the operator ##\sin\frac{d}{d\phi}##. The approach taken involves assuming ##f(\phi)## and ##\lambda## are the eigenfunction and eigenvalue, and differentiating the given equation. However, the resulting non-linear differential equation is difficult to solve. The conversation also explores the possibility of expressing the solution in terms of elementary functions, but it is not possible. The conversation ends with a discussion about using the fact ##\sin\left(\frac{d}{d\phi}\right) = \mathfrak{Im} \left( e^{i\frac{d}{dx}}\right)##, but
Wannabe Physicist
Homework Statement
Find the eigenfunction and eigenvalues of ##\sin\frac{d}{d\phi}##
Relevant Equations
Here is what I tried. Suppose ##f(\phi)## and ##\lambda## is the eigenfunction and eigenvalue of the given operator. That is,

$$\sin\frac{d f}{d\phi} = \lambda f$$
Differentiating once,
$$f'' \cos f' = \lambda f' = f'' \sqrt{1-\sin^2f'}$$
$$f''\sqrt{1-\lambda^2 f^2} = \lambda f'$$

I have no idea how to solve this non-linear differential equation. Is this approach even correct? I have also tried expanding the left-hand side of the eigenvalue equation into Taylor expansion of ##\sin(f')##. All I get is a function containing higher derivatives of ##f## on one side and ##\lambda f## on the other side and once again I am stuck not knowing how to proceed. Please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wannabe Physicist said:
Homework Statement:: Find the eigenfunction and eigenvalues of ##\sin\frac{d}{d\phi}##
Relevant Equations:: .

Here is what I tried. Suppose ##f(\phi)## and ##\lambda## is the eigenfunction and eigenvalue of the given operator. That is,

$$\sin\frac{d f}{d\phi} = \lambda f$$
Differentiating once,
$$f'' \cos f' = \lambda f' = f'' \sqrt{1-\sin^2f'}$$
$$f''\sqrt{1-\lambda^2 f^2} = \lambda f'$$

I have no idea how to solve this non-linear differential equation. Is this approach even correct? I have also tried expanding the left-hand side of the eigenvalue equation into Taylor expansion of ##\sin(f')##. All I get is a function containing higher derivatives of ##f## on one side and ##\lambda f## on the other side and once again I am stuck not knowing how to proceed. Please help
It isn't pretty and I doubt there is an expression for ##f## in terms of elementary functions, but you could just take arcsine of both sides and directly integrate.

Likes Wannabe Physicist and PhDeezNutz
Thanks for your response. This is what I did

$$\frac{df}{d\phi} = \sin^{-1}(\lambda f)$$
On integrating the ##df## integral using online integral calculator
$$ \frac{\operatorname{Ci}\left(\arcsin\left(\lambda f\right)\right)}{\lambda} = \phi+C$$

It seems this cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions, just as you said. I am trying to see if this can be expressed in the form of ##f=f(\phi)##. Is it even possible?

##\sin\left(\frac{d}{d\phi}\right) = \mathfrak{Im} \left( e^{i\frac{d}{dx}}\right)##

Does this help?

Likes PhDeezNutz
Wannabe Physicist said:
Thanks for your response. This is what I did

$$\frac{df}{d\phi} = \sin^{-1}(\lambda f)$$
On integrating the ##df## integral using online integral calculator
$$ \frac{\operatorname{Ci}\left(\arcsin\left(\lambda f\right)\right)}{\lambda} = \phi+C$$

It seems this cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions, just as you said. I am trying to see if this can be expressed in the form of ##f=f(\phi)##. Is it even possible?
It would probably just be an even more horrible function. In the end, you can always just define a function which is the inverse of another, but that's little more than giving something a name. Insight comes when there are known properties of the variously named special functions.

Haborix said:
It would probably just be an even more horrible function. In the end, you can always just define a function which is the inverse of another, but that's little more than giving something a name. Insight comes when there are known properties of the variously named special functions.
Okay. So I should simply state that the eigenfunctions are all those functions ##f(\phi)## which satisfy ##\operatorname{Ci}\left(\sin^{-1}\lambda f\right)/\lambda +C =\phi## and the corresponding eigenvalue is ##\lambda##. Is that right?

dextercioby said:
##\sin\left(\frac{d}{d\phi}\right) = \mathfrak{Im} \left( e^{i\frac{d}{dx}}\right)##

Does this help?
I do not understand how to use this fact actually. I am trying to eyeball some eigenfunction for ##e^{i\frac{d}{dx}}## but no success as of yet.

1. What is an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a function that, when operated on by a linear operator, returns a scalar multiple of itself. In other words, the function is unchanged except for a scaling factor.

2. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is the scalar value that is associated with an eigenfunction. It represents the factor by which the eigenfunction is scaled when operated on by a linear operator.

3. How do you find the eigenfunction of ##\sin\frac{d}{d\phi}##?

To find the eigenfunction, we need to solve the differential equation ##\sin\frac{d}{d\phi}f(\phi) = \lambda f(\phi)##, where ##\lambda## is the eigenvalue. This can be solved by using separation of variables and then solving for the constant of integration.

4. How do you find the eigenvalues of ##\sin\frac{d}{d\phi}##?

The eigenvalues can be found by plugging in the eigenfunction into the differential equation and solving for the values of ##\lambda## that satisfy the equation. In this case, the eigenvalues will be the values of ##\lambda## that make the equation ##\sin\frac{d}{d\phi}f(\phi) = \lambda f(\phi)## true.

5. What is the significance of finding the eigenfunction and eigenvalues of ##\sin\frac{d}{d\phi}##?

Finding the eigenfunction and eigenvalues of ##\sin\frac{d}{d\phi}## allows us to understand the behavior of the function when operated on by a linear operator. It also helps us to solve differential equations and can have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.