1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the equation of the line by using vectors

1. Mar 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to find the equation of the line by using any vector a and b in a way that the line fits the triangle generated by vector addition. If you don't understand my statement, look at my attached file. You will understand what I mean by triangle. Is my solution right?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2016 #2
    Essentially, it is correct.

However - There is no requirement for such constraint for t. Remember, you are writing an equation for a line; an infinite number of points are possible.
    Further, you could just write the second term on the right, as t(a+b), and t can take an infinite number of values, corresponding to an infinite number of points on the line.

4. Mar 7, 2016 #3
    thanks I wasn't actually clear on the fact that the boundaries are necessary to fit the idea of triangle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted