Find the equation of the line by using vectors

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation of a line using vector addition to fit a triangle. The solution provided is essentially correct, but there is no requirement for a constraint on t and it can take an infinite number of values. The boundaries are necessary to fit the concept of a triangle.
TheMathNoob

Homework Statement

I have to find the equation of the line by using any vector a and b in a way that the line fits the triangle generated by vector addition. If you don't understand my statement, look at my attached file. You will understand what I mean by triangle. Is my solution right?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• VECTOR.jpg
    VECTOR.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 365
Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially, it is correct.

However - There is no requirement for such constraint for t. Remember, you are writing an equation for a line; an infinite number of points are possible.
Further, you could just write the second term on the right, as t(a+b), and t can take an infinite number of values, corresponding to an infinite number of points on the line.

Qwertywerty said:
Essentially, it is correct.

However - There is no requirement for such constraint for t. Remember, you are writing an equation for a line; an infinite number of points are possible.
Further, you could just write the second term on the right, as t(a+b), and t can take an infinite number of values, corresponding to an infinite number of points on the line.
thanks I wasn't actually clear on the fact that the boundaries are necessary to fit the idea of triangle.

What is the equation of a line?

The equation of a line is a mathematical representation of a straight line on a coordinate plane. It is typically written in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

How can vectors be used to find the equation of a line?

Vectors, which have both magnitude and direction, can be used to represent the slope of a line. By finding the slope between two points on the line using vectors, we can then use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the line.

What is the point-slope formula?

The point-slope formula is y - y1 = m(x - x1), where (x1, y1) is a point on the line and m is the slope of the line. This formula allows us to find the equation of a line when given a point and the slope.

Can vectors be used to find the slope of a line in any direction?

Yes, vectors can be used to find the slope of a line in any direction, as long as the direction is consistent between the two points used to calculate the slope. This is because vectors take into account both the magnitude and direction of a line, rather than just the rise over run method used in traditional slope calculations.

Is finding the equation of a line using vectors always accurate?

Yes, finding the equation of a line using vectors is always accurate as long as the points used to calculate the slope are on the line. However, it is important to note that if the points are not on the line, the resulting equation will not accurately represent the line.