Find the equivalent resistance of a circuit below

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 8K views
shashaeee
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Find the equivalent resistance of the circuit shown below. Each of the six resistors has a resistance of 12 ohm.
physics.jpg


I just want to make sure I calculated everything right. I don't have the solution available.

Labelling the resistors from my left to the right: R1, R2, R3, R4, R5(bottom), R6

What I did:

R5 + R6 = R56

1/R56 + 1/R4 = R456

R456 + R3 = R3456

1/R3456 + 1/R2 = R23456

R23456 + R1 = Req = 20Ω

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your logic all looks correct to me. I don't have a calculator available, but your work looks fine and the answer seems reasonable.

Edit: The post below me is correct, I missed those errors.
 
Last edited:
shashaeee said:
1/R56 + 1/R4 = R456

No, 1/R56 + 1/R4 = 1/R456


1/R3456 + 1/R2 = R23456

No, 1/R3456 + 1/R2 = 1/R23456
 
The resistors are of equal value.
In calculation this value is substituted in the equations.
R5+R6=2R
Next the parallel resistor
2R.R/(2R+R)=2R/3
And the next configuration till R1