Find the General Anti-derivative (Calculus I)

In summary, the conversation was about finding the anti-derivative of a given function using basic integration rules. The correct answer was x^2/2 + 10/sqrt(x) + C, which was found after re-writing the function and applying the integration rule. The individual was having trouble with the answer and seeking clarification, but later found their mistake and was grateful for the assistance.
treehau5

Homework Statement

given f(x) = [x^3+5sqrt(x)]/x^2, find the anti-derivative

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi I have attempted to solve this by re-writing the equation as a sum of two fractions:

x^3/x^2 + 5sqrt(x)/x^2, simplying gives = x + 5/x^3/2

I then apply the principle anti-differentiation rules, and I come out with:

x^2/2 + 5x^-1/2 = x^2/2 + 10/sqrt(x) + C

This answer is coming back in WebWork as wrong. I also checked my answer on wolframalpha, and got the same result.

What am I doing wrong? (If anything)

Physics news on Phys.org
treehau5 said:
x^3/x^2 + 5sqrt(x)/x^2, simplying gives = x + 5/x^3/2

Try re-writing it: [tex]x + \frac{5}{x^{3/2}}=x+5x^{-3/2}[/tex]Then integrate.

I am not quite at intergration yet, this is the last section of my Calculus I course, Calculus II is intergration. So for now our anti-d's are pretty simple and just follow some basic rules.

Ok so
x + 5x-3/2 following the rule: x(n+1)/(n+1) gives

x1+1 / (1+1) + 5x-3/2 + 2/2 / -(1/2) =

x2/2 + 5x-1/2/ -(1/2 ) = -10x-1/2 or finally

x2 / 2 + 10 / sqrt(x)

I am still doing it wrong?

ok yes I am doing it wrong, its - 10 / sqrt(x).

Thank you very much.

Story of my life, I always miss a sign.

treehau5 said:
I am not quite at intergration yet, this is the last section of my Calculus I course, Calculus II is intergration. So for now our anti-d's are pretty simple and just follow some basic rules.
Integration is finding the antiderivative.

Note that there is no such word in English as intergration.

Mark44 said:
Integration is finding the antiderivative.

Note that there is no such word in English as intergration.

Thank you Mark for the insight. And you are right, there is no such word as intergration.

What is the purpose of finding the general anti-derivative in Calculus I?

The purpose of finding the general anti-derivative, also known as the indefinite integral, is to determine the original function whose derivative is equal to the given function. This is an important concept in calculus, as it allows us to solve a wide range of problems involving rates of change.

What are the steps to finding the general anti-derivative?

The steps to finding the general anti-derivative involve first identifying the given function, then using integration rules and techniques such as substitution or integration by parts to simplify the function. Finally, we add a constant term to account for all possible solutions and obtain the general anti-derivative of the function.

What is the difference between the general anti-derivative and a definite integral?

The general anti-derivative is a function that represents all possible solutions to an indefinite integral, while a definite integral is a specific numerical value obtained by evaluating the function within a given interval. In other words, the general anti-derivative gives us a set of functions, while the definite integral gives us a single number.

Can any function have a general anti-derivative?

No, not all functions have a general anti-derivative. Functions that are not continuous or do not satisfy certain conditions may not have a general anti-derivative. Additionally, some functions may not have an anti-derivative that can be expressed in terms of elementary functions, and may require more advanced techniques to find the general anti-derivative.

What is the relationship between the derivative and the general anti-derivative?

The derivative and the general anti-derivative are inverse operations of each other. This means that if we take the derivative of a function and then find its general anti-derivative, we will obtain the original function. Similarly, if we find the general anti-derivative of a function and then take its derivative, we will also obtain the original function.