Find the [H3O+], [OH‐], pH, and pOH

• Thread starter IntegrateMe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary: The concentration of a solution is the amount of solute (Sr(OH)2 in this case) dissolved in a given volume of solution. In summary, the solution is prepared to be 0.1475 M in Sr(OH)2. The concentration of OH- is 2 moles in Sr(OH)2. The concentration of OH- is calculated by multiplying the concentration of the solution (0.1475 M) by the number of moles of OH- in one mole of Sr(OH)2 (2 moles). This gives us a concentration of 0.295 M for OH-. To find the [H3O+], we can use the equation pOH = -log[OH-]. Since
IntegrateMe
A solution is prepared to be 0.1475 M in Sr(OH)2. Find the [H3O+], [OH‐], pH, and pOH.

I'm not quite sure where to go from here. I was thinking I can start by writing out the net ionic equation:

Sr(OH)2 → Sr2+ + 2OH-

But I don't really know how that helps me. Any insights?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the concentration of OH-.

The book shows that the concentration of OH is 2(.1475M), but I'm not sure how that was obtained. I understand that there are 2 hydroxide ions, but why do we use the moles of the solution?

Seriously, why can't ANYBODY help me? I figured the problem was relatively easy, am I asking in the wrong way?

Geez, you didn't get an answer in two hours, on the Independence Day evening, and you are already frustrated? Get some pills for patience.

Seeing how you don't know what to do makes me wonder you are missing... What is the definition of the concentration? If you have 1L of the 0.1475 M solution, how many of Sr(OH)2 are there? Look at the dissociation equation - how many moles of OH- are there?

Geez, you didn't get an answer in two hours, on the Independence Day evening, and you are already frustrated? Get some pills for patience.

Seeing how you don't know what to do makes me wonder you are missing... What is the definition of the concentration? If you have 1L of the 0.1475 M solution, how many moles of Sr(OH)2 are there? Look at the dissociation equation - how many moles of OH- are there?

There are 2 moles of OH- in Sr(OH)2.

Why do we multiple this 0.1475 M solution by the number of moles of one part of the reaction, though?

What is the definition of the concentration?

1. What is the relationship between [H3O+] and [OH-] in a solution?

The concentration of hydrogen ions, [H3O+], and hydroxide ions, [OH-], are inversely proportional in a solution. This means that as the concentration of one increases, the concentration of the other decreases. This relationship is described by the equation [H3O+] x [OH-] = 1 x 10^-14.

2. How do you calculate the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution is calculated using the negative logarithm of the hydrogen ion concentration, [H3O+]. The formula is pH = -log[H3O+]. A pH of 7 is considered neutral, while a pH below 7 is acidic and a pH above 7 is basic.

3. What is the significance of pOH in a solution?

pOH is a measure of the hydroxide ion concentration in a solution, similar to how pH measures the hydrogen ion concentration. It is calculated using the negative logarithm of the hydroxide ion concentration, [OH-]. A pOH of 7 is considered neutral, while a pOH below 7 is basic and a pOH above 7 is acidic. The sum of pH and pOH is always equal to 14.

4. Can you determine the pH of a solution if you know the pOH?

Yes, the pH and pOH are related by the equation pH + pOH = 14. This means that if you know the pOH of a solution, you can subtract it from 14 to find the pH.

5. How does the concentration of [H3O+] affect the pH of a solution?

The concentration of hydrogen ions, [H3O+], is directly proportional to the pH of a solution. This means that as the concentration of [H3O+] increases, the pH decreases and the solution becomes more acidic. Likewise, as the concentration of [H3O+] decreases, the pH increases and the solution becomes more basic.