Find the Limit of Multivariable Function

In summary, the problem is to find the limit of (x^2*y)/(x^2 + y^4) as (x,y) approaches (0,0). The approach taken is to convert x and y into polar coordinates and then simplify the expression. However, after multiple attempts, the limit is still inconclusive. The suggestion is made to use the fact that x^2 + y^4 is always greater than or equal to x^2 in order to simplify the expression further.
Rapier

Homework Statement

Find the limit of:
lim (x,y) ->(0,0) (x^2*y)/(x^2 + y^4)

Homework Equations

x=rcosθ
y=rsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

lim r->0 for all steps
L = (rcosθ)^2*(rsinθ)/[(rcosθ)^2 + (rsinθ)^4]
L = r^3 (cosθ)^2 (sinθ) / [ r^2 * (cosθ)^2 + r^4 * (sinθ)^4]
L = r (cos^2 * sin ) / (cos^2 + r^2*sin^4)

That's as far as I can get. I thought about trying to use r^2 in the denominator to work back around to a sin^2 + cos^2 or trying to convert the terms in the denominators into r and either cos or sin so I could get rid of one of the terms and nothing seems to be working.

Oh, I should mention that I tried a couple of different paths and my limit seemed to always equal 0. I know that I cannot prove a limit exists with this method, I can only prove that the limit does not exist. I'm fairly certain the limit = 0, but I can't figure out a way to determine it.

This is a problem that I'm supposed to be thinking about for discussion on Thursday. So I don't want the answer, but guidance. Thanks!

-r

Physics news on Phys.org
try using the fact x^2+y^4>=x^2

1. What is a multivariable function?

A multivariable function is a mathematical function that takes in multiple variables as inputs and produces a single output. It is also known as a multivariate function or a function of several variables.

2. How do you find the limit of a multivariable function?

To find the limit of a multivariable function, you need to evaluate the function as the variables approach a specific point. This can be done by plugging in values that are closer and closer to the point, and observing the behavior of the function as the values get closer. If the function approaches a single value, that is the limit of the function at that point.

3. What are the methods for finding the limit of a multivariable function?

There are several methods for finding the limit of a multivariable function, including direct substitution, algebraic manipulation, and using the Squeeze Theorem. Another common method is to use the limit laws, such as the sum, product, and quotient laws.

4. Can a multivariable function have more than one limit at a single point?

Yes, it is possible for a multivariable function to have more than one limit at a single point. This can occur when the function approaches different values from different directions, or when the function has a discontinuity at that point.

5. What are the applications of finding the limit of a multivariable function?

Finding the limit of a multivariable function is important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to determine the behavior of a system as variables change, to optimize functions, and to predict the outcomes of complex systems.