Find the magnitude of acceleration of the puck on the ramp

In summary: Also, when you're solving for the acceleration, you should include the initial velocity in the equation. In summary, the problem involves a .20 kg hockey puck launched up a metal ramp inclined at a 30.0 degree angle. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction are .40 kg and .30 kg, respectively. The puck's initial speed is 35.0 m/s. The magnitude of the acceleration of the puck on the ramp is -1.4, but there may be an error in the calculations as the correct answer is not being obtained.
ScullyX51

Homework Statement

A .20 kg hockey puck is launched up a metal ramp that is inclined at a 30.0 degree angle. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the hockey puck and the metal ramp are
Ms= .40 kg and Mk=.30 kg , respectively. The puck's initial speed is 35.0 m/s. What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the puck on the ramp?

Homework Equations

F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution

N= Nj
Fgrav= mg(cos 30- sin 30)
Friction= MkN

In the j direction the forces are:
N-mgsin(30)=0
N= -1.94
In the i direction the forces are:
mgcos(30) + MkN=ma
a= (mgcos(30)+ MkN)/ m =a

then when I plug in all of the given numbers I get -1.4.
I have tried this problem a bunch of times and cannot get anywhere close to the correct answer. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
ScullyX51 said:

Homework Statement

A .20 kg hockey puck is launched up a metal ramp that is inclined at a 30.0 degree angle. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the hockey puck and the metal ramp are
Ms= .40 kg and Mk=.30 kg , respectively. The puck's initial speed is 35.0 m/s. What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the puck on the ramp?

Homework Equations

F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution

N= Nj
Fgrav= mg(cos 30- sin 30)
Friction= MkN

In the j direction the forces are:
N-mgsin(30)=0
N= -1.94
In the i direction the forces are:
mgcos(30) + MkN=ma
a= (mgcos(30)+ MkN)/ m =a

then when I plug in all of the given numbers I get -1.4.
I have tried this problem a bunch of times and cannot get anywhere close to the correct answer. What am I doing wrong?
mostly you've got your mgsin30 and mgcos 30 mixed up.

I would like to point out that the given data may not be sufficient to accurately calculate the magnitude of acceleration of the puck on the ramp. The coefficient of kinetic friction, Mk, is given in units of kg, which is not a standard unit for friction. It is possible that this is a typo and the correct unit is N/kg, but without confirmation, it is difficult to determine the correct value to use in the equation.

Additionally, the provided value for the normal force, N, is negative, which does not make physical sense. The normal force should always be positive, as it is a force exerted by the ramp on the puck in the opposite direction of the gravitational force.

Assuming the correct value for Mk is 0.30 N/kg, the correct approach to solving this problem would be to first calculate the normal force, N, using the given coefficient of static friction, Ms, and the weight of the puck, mg. Then, use this value for N in the equation for the net force in the i direction, along with the given initial speed and mass of the puck, to solve for the magnitude of acceleration, a.

In summary, to accurately calculate the magnitude of acceleration of the puck on the ramp, we need to confirm the unit for the coefficient of kinetic friction, and use the correct value for the normal force in the calculations.

1. What is the definition of acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How do you find the magnitude of acceleration?

To find the magnitude of acceleration, you must first measure the change in velocity and change in time. Then, divide the change in velocity by the change in time. The resulting value will be the magnitude of acceleration.

3. How is acceleration related to velocity?

Acceleration is directly related to velocity, as it is the rate at which velocity changes. An object with a higher acceleration will experience a larger change in velocity over a given amount of time.

4. How does the angle of the ramp affect the magnitude of acceleration of the puck?

The angle of the ramp does affect the magnitude of acceleration of the puck. The steeper the ramp, the greater the acceleration due to the force of gravity pulling the puck down the ramp.

5. What factors can affect the magnitude of acceleration of the puck on the ramp?

Several factors can affect the magnitude of acceleration of the puck on the ramp. These include the angle of the ramp, the force of gravity, the mass of the puck, and any external forces acting on the puck.