1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the moment of inertia

1. Mar 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

heres a very messy drawing for an idea of what were looking at: http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1764/untitledyi0.png

area moment of inertia Ix0 of a rectangle about the axis x0 that passes through the centroid is: Ix = 1/12bh^3

the moment of inertia about an axis x that is parallel to the x0 is given by: Ix = Ix0 + Ad^2x

where A is the area of the rectangle, and dx is the distance between the two axes.

the inputs are width w, height h, and thickness t.

w = 200mm h = 300 mm, and t = 22mm

find the moment of inertia:

2. Relevant equations

Ix0 = 1/12bh^3

Ix = Ix0 + Ad^2x

3. The attempt at a solution

my questions are..

is t the what plugs into b in this problem?

also, is area of the rectangle just Base * height, so 200 * 300?

not sure how to find the distance between the two axis.

please help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2007 #2
    help please?
  4. Mar 9, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Re draw your diagram. The reason no one is helping is because instantly, when they see something thats too hard to read, they wont bother. I know thats what I thought when I saw the picture..
  5. Mar 13, 2007 #4
    I didnt get your drawing, but from the wording it seems you need to use the parallel axis theorem. If [tex]I_{cm}=I_0[/tex] about a certain axis, then [tex]I_x=I_0+mx^2[/tex], where x is the distance of the shifted axis from the axis of the center of mass (With moment of inertia [tex]I_0[/tex]).
  6. Mar 14, 2007 #5
    how were you able to draw that. Is that found on image shack or somewhere on your computer. sorry for the off-topic comment
  7. Apr 18, 2007 #6
    Thanks anyways, I was able to figure this out eventually.

Sorry for the awkward drawing. I used paintbrush to draw it, then hosted it through imageshack. However, i recommend hosting a bmp file instead of a low quality jpeg.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?