Calculating Phase Angle in an AC Circuit: Practical vs. Theoretical Approaches

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the phase angle for a circuit with AC voltage, a resistor, and a capacitor in series at a frequency of 1760 Hz. The speaker is unsure of how to calculate the phase angle practically, but mentions using the arctan (wRC) formula. They also suggest comparing the 15 ms time to a full oscillation period to determine the phase angle.
mmmboh
Hi , there is a circuit with AC voltage with a resistor followed by a capacitor in series, and at frequency 1760 Hz I need to know phase angle, the peak to peak separations for the voltage source to the voltage across the capacitor is 15 ms...how do I find the phase angle?

I already found it theoretically using arctan (wRC), but I'm not sure how to do it practically.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Compare the 15 ms to the time for a full oscillation period.

If the 15 ms were one-half of a period, then the phase angle is 180°.
If it's a quarter of a period, the phase s 90°.
Etc.

What is a phase angle?

A phase angle is a measure of the position of one object in relation to another object in a cyclic motion. In science, it is often used to describe the position of an object in its circular orbit around a central body.

Why is finding the phase angle important?

Finding the phase angle is important in many areas of science, such as astronomy, physics, and engineering. It can help calculate the position of celestial objects, determine the timing of events in cyclic processes, and predict the behavior of systems.

How do you calculate the phase angle?

The phase angle can be calculated using trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The specific equation used depends on the type of cyclic motion and the information available about the objects involved.

What is the difference between phase angle and phase shift?

Phase angle and phase shift are often used interchangeably, but they have slightly different meanings. Phase angle refers to the position of an object in its cyclic motion, while phase shift refers to the time delay between two objects in the same cyclic motion.

What are some real-world applications of finding the phase angle?

Finding the phase angle has many practical applications. For example, it can be used to track the position of satellites in orbit, predict the tides, and design electrical circuits with specific timing requirements.