Calculating Potential Difference in Parallel Circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential difference across points A and B, and B and C. The total resistance between A and B is 200 ohms, while the total resistance between B and C is 100 ohms because they are connected in parallel. The formula for calculating resistance in parallel is used to determine the potential difference between B and C.
looi76

Homework Statement

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1087/09052008hf9.png
What is the potential difference across (i) AB (ii) BC.

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) [tex]\frac{200}{400} \times 6 = 3V[/tex]

Is this right? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the easiest way to do this would be to use equivalent resistances to find the current. After that it is very easy

I didn't understand...

Hi looi76,

We know the total resistance between A and B is 200 ohms. What is the total resistance between B and C?

The total resistance between B and C is 100 because they are connected in parallel. So, [tex]\frac{200}{(100 + 200)} \times 3 = 2V[/tex]

Is this correct?

No, that is not the total resistance between B and C. They are both in parallel. What is the formula for resistance connected in parallel?

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and indicates the amount of work needed to move a unit of electric charge from one point to another.

2. How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference is calculated by dividing the work done in moving a charge between two points by the amount of charge moved. This can be represented by the equation V = W/Q, where V is voltage, W is work, and Q is charge.

3. What is the unit of measurement for potential difference?

The unit of measurement for potential difference is the volt (V). Other common units for potential difference include millivolts (mV) and kilovolts (kV).

4. How does potential difference affect the flow of electric current?

Potential difference is directly related to the flow of electric current. A higher potential difference will result in a greater flow of current, while a lower potential difference will result in a lower flow of current. This relationship is described by Ohm's law: I = V/R, where I is current, V is voltage, and R is resistance.

5. What factors can affect potential difference?

Potential difference can be affected by various factors, including the type of material the current is flowing through, the length and thickness of the material, and the presence of any resistors or other components in the circuit. Additionally, changes in temperature and the strength of the electric field can also impact potential difference.