1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the power in the circuit

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    photo-1.jpg

My biggest issue is I don't know what to do with the ix
    So I really just need to know how to calculate power for C and E. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2

Zryn

Gold Member

The ix current is given as 3A, but it is in the opposite direction, so we say ix = -3A.

E is a Current Controlled Voltage Source (CCVS) which has the voltage across it depending on the current ix. We know ix = -3A so V(E) = 2 * ix = -6V.

This doesn't make sense for the circuit though, as we need E = 6V for the law of conservation of energy not to be violated, so pretend E = 6V for your calculation.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  4. Sep 14, 2011 #3
    thank you!

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Actually, I think you could ignore it! * :uhh:

Simply because you know the current through each of the elements, and you know the magnitude of the voltage across each, so for each P=V.I

Okay, you may not have been told the voltage across that rhombus-thing :smile:
    but the element in the centre has 10volts, and that on the right has 4volts, leaving (paying close attention to polarities) 6volts across the rhombus. (I must admit I didn't recognize it as a CCVS until Zryn pointed that out.)

It's not clear whether you need to attach a + or - sign to each power calculation, to indicate whether a power source or sink. If in doubt, it won't hurt to do so.

*you can do this in this case because there seems to have been more information provided on I's and V's than absolutely necessary

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook