Find the power in the circuit

• Engineering
  • Thread starter jojobananas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit Power
In summary, the biggest issue is not knowing what to do with the ix current. To calculate power for C and E, E must be treated as a Current Controlled Voltage Source (CCVS) with the voltage across it dependent on the current ix. However, this creates a contradiction with the law of conservation of energy. For the circuit to make sense, it is suggested to pretend E = 6V for calculations. Additionally, the voltage across a rhombus-like element can be determined by subtracting the voltages of the elements on either side of it. It may be necessary to indicate the direction of power flow with positive or negative signs.
jojobananas
photo-1.jpg

My biggest issue is I don't know what to do with the ix
So I really just need to know how to calculate power for C and E. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The ix current is given as 3A, but it is in the opposite direction, so we say ix = -3A.

E is a Current Controlled Voltage Source (CCVS) which has the voltage across it depending on the current ix. We know ix = -3A so V(E) = 2 * ix = -6V.

This doesn't make sense for the circuit though, as we need E = 6V for the law of conservation of energy not to be violated, so pretend E = 6V for your calculation.

Last edited:
thank you!

jojobananas said:
My biggest issue is I don't know what to do with the ix
Actually, I think you could ignore it! * :uhh:

Simply because you know the current through each of the elements, and you know the magnitude of the voltage across each, so for each P=V.I

Okay, you may not have been told the voltage across that rhombus-thing :smile:
but the element in the centre has 10volts, and that on the right has 4volts, leaving (paying close attention to polarities) 6volts across the rhombus. (I must admit I didn't recognize it as a CCVS until Zryn pointed that out.)

It's not clear whether you need to attach a + or - sign to each power calculation, to indicate whether a power source or sink. If in doubt, it won't hurt to do so.

*you can do this in this case because there seems to have been more information provided on I's and V's than absolutely necessary

To calculate power in a circuit, you need to know the voltage (V) and current (I) at each component. Power is calculated using the formula P = VI.

In this case, to find the power for component C and E, you would need to know the voltage and current at those specific components. This information can be obtained through measurements or by using Ohm's Law (V = IR).

Once you have the voltage and current for each component, you can plug them into the power formula to calculate the power for C and E.

It is important to note that power is measured in watts (W), so make sure to use consistent units for voltage (volts) and current (amps) in the calculations.

I hope this helps with your issue. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the purpose of finding the power in a circuit?

Finding the power in a circuit helps determine the amount of electrical energy being used by the circuit. This is important in understanding the efficiency and performance of the circuit.

2. How is power calculated in a circuit?

Power in a circuit is calculated by multiplying the voltage and current in the circuit. The unit of power is measured in watts (W).

3. What is the difference between AC and DC power?

AC (alternating current) power is the type of electricity that is commonly used in homes and buildings, while DC (direct current) power is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices. AC power alternates in direction, while DC power flows in only one direction.

4. How does the power in a circuit affect the components?

The power in a circuit can affect the components by causing them to heat up, which can lead to damage or malfunction. It is important to ensure that the power in a circuit is within the safe operating range for all components.

5. Can the power in a circuit be increased?

Yes, the power in a circuit can be increased by increasing the voltage or current in the circuit. However, this should only be done if the components in the circuit are capable of handling the increased power without overheating or being damaged.