Find the time when the projectile runs into the hill (with air resistance)

In summary, the projectile would stop moving for a short time when it hits the incline, but the reasoning behind the equation is not good. Vy0 is set to v0sinθ to start with, and then th is found using m/b-v0sinθ/g. It is unclear whether @Moolisa has the result for displacements (which is needed here)
Moolisa
Homework Statement
Consider the projectile motion shown in the figure below, where air resistance can be approximated by the linear regime. The red line represents an inclined hill, which can be assumed a straight line passing through the origin, making an angle with the horizontal

(a) Find an equation that defines the time t[SUB]h[/SUB] when the projectile runs into the hill. You can use all the results derived in lecture for projectile motion with linear drag.

(b)Accurate to first order in the linear drag coefficient, solve for the time t[SUB]h[/SUB]
Relevant Equations
v(y)=v(ter) + (v(y0) -v(ter)e^(-t(h)/τ) where tau=m/b EQ 1
proj motion (2).jpg
vy=vter + (vy0 -vter) e-th where tau=m/b EQ 1

Okay, for part a, I used Eq 1
I let vy=vy(th)=0 --->The reasoning is that the projectile would stop moving for a short time when it hits the incline, but I have a feeling that reasoning is faulty

I let vy0=v0sinθ

Then the equation became

(vter-v0sinθ)/vter= e-th

I multiplied both sides by the natural log, then got

th= (m/b)-v0sinθ/g

I think this is wrong, but I'm not sure how to approach it differently or where I'm going wrong.

Obviously, I have not attempted part b, but I'm exactly sure I know what it is asking me to do. What does accurate to the first order linear drag coefficient mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning that you should search for a point where velocity is zero is definitely not good, since that brief moment you speak of is not described by the trajectory of the projectile(That trajectory judging by it's equation would continue through the inclined object if it was possible, you just stop it there since you know there is going to be a collision).

However, I find it very hard to read the equation you've given, and also, is that equation just for vertical component of velocity? In case when there is air resistance, both horizontal and vertical components will change over time, since drag force will have components along both axes.

So it would be good if you provided formulas for both components. That is in the case where you are not yet able to solve differential equations from which those formulas would be derived(This is listed as introductory physics problem, so I wouldn't know your level of math). In case you're familiar with differential equations, the first step would be to solve Newton's second law for both components of velocity, then find the trajectory, and finally find the intersection of the trajectory with this line that represents the inclined hill.

Likes Moolisa
The first step will be looking at the vertical motion of the projectile. You need to find the time where the velocity in the y direction becomes zero - if you double that, that will give you the time it takes for the projectile to reach the ground (if the incline weren't there).

Also, you need to separate the initial velocity into its separate components first. It's easier if you look at the equations of motion of the projectile separately for x and y.

Another formula that might help you:
##m## ##dv_y/dt = -b(v_y - v_{ter})##

To clarify, the key would be integrating the equations of motion to find the positions in the x and y directions.

Likes Moolisa
The first step will be looking at the vertical motion of the projectile. You need to find the time where the velocity in the y direction becomes zero - if you double that, that will give you the time it takes for the projectile to reach the ground (if the incline weren't there).
For motion with air drag, the time of ascension and descension isn't equal since air drag switches signs between ascending and descending, so it is not symmetrical with respect to the highest point in the trajectory.

Likes Moolisa
callieferg said:
You need to find the time where the velocity in the y direction becomes zero - if you double that, that will give you the time it takes for the projectile to reach the ground (if the incline weren't there).
As @Antarres has pointed out, the motion is not symmetric about the apex. Further, it would not be helpful to find the time to return to y=0; and thirdly, it is generally a mistake to break trajectories into before apex and after apex: as long as the same equations apply in both, that's just extra work.
callieferg said:
you need to separate the initial velocity into its separate components
That only works because it is linear drag, of course.
callieferg said:
Another formula that might help you
From post #1, it appears that solving the acceleration equation for 2D linear drag is something already covered in class and Moolisa has the result for velocities. Whether @Moolisa also has the result for displacements (which is needed here) is unclear.

Likes Moolisa
Thank you, I solved the problem and got the correct answer. It was tedious... Thanks for the help, I'll edit it to say it's been solved

Thanks everyone, I was able to solve it

What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is given an initial velocity and then allowed to move freely under the influence of gravity and air resistance.

What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It is caused by the friction between the object and the air molecules.

How does air resistance affect the motion of a projectile?

Air resistance slows down the projectile, causing it to travel a shorter distance and take longer to reach its target. It also changes the trajectory of the projectile, making it curve downwards.

How can I calculate the time when a projectile runs into a hill with air resistance?

To calculate the time, you will need to know the initial velocity, the acceleration due to gravity, the mass and shape of the projectile, and the shape and angle of the hill. Using these variables, you can use mathematical equations to determine the time of impact.

What factors can influence the time when a projectile runs into a hill with air resistance?

The time of impact can be influenced by the initial velocity, the angle and shape of the hill, the mass and shape of the projectile, and the air resistance. Other factors such as wind speed and direction can also affect the time of impact.