Find the total distance travel

• Thread starter jack911
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Travel
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance traveled by a particle between 0 and 10 seconds using the equation s=0.7t^2-0.1t^3+0.5t. The individual has already found the distance traveled between 0 and 5 seconds to be 7.5m, but is unsure how to find the distance traveled between 5 and 10 seconds. The other participant explains that it is necessary to know the time at which the displacement is zero in order to accurately calculate the total distance traveled. The individual mentions using the method of finding when the velocity is zero, but the other participant clarifies that this is not suitable for finding distance between two different times. The conversation ends with
jack911

Homework Statement

the following is a equation to find the displacement of a particle. I've found it is instantaneous at rest at t=5. now need to find the distance traveled between 0 to 10s.

i found distance traveling between 0 to 5 s is 7.5

but no idea how to find distance traveled between 5 to 10s...please help.

Homework Equations

s=0.7t^2-0.1t^3+0.5t

The Attempt at a Solution

32.5m

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to know when the velocity is zero to solve this, you need to know at what time [itex]T[/itex] the displacement is zero. Then the total distance traveled is [itex]|s(T)-s(0)|+|s(10)-s(T)|[/itex].

yes i use|s(5)-s(0)|+|s(10)-s(5)| = 7.5+32.5=40but the ans is 40 instead of 32.5

That's no good. The displacement isn't zero when t=5.

thanks i got the ans but i wonder why we have to know what time the displacement is zero??i can't get it~.~

You need to know when the displacement is zero because after that time the displacement becomes negative (and distance is never negative).

i get it but i wonder can i do it with find t when v=0? because your method seem not suitable for finding distance between t and t1(where t and t1 are the time when s=0)

can you please point out my mistake in the following equation?

|s(5)-s(0)|+|s(10)-s(5)| = 7.5+32.5=40

thanks a lot:)

1. What is the definition of "total distance travel"?

The total distance travel refers to the sum of all distances traveled during a journey, trip, or movement.

2. How do you calculate the total distance travel?

To calculate the total distance travel, you need to add up all the individual distances traveled. This can be done by using a map to measure the distance or by using a GPS device to track the distance.

3. What units are used to measure the total distance travel?

The total distance travel can be measured in various units such as kilometers, miles, meters, or feet depending on the preferred unit of measurement.

4. Why is it important to know the total distance travel?

Knowing the total distance travel is important for a variety of reasons. It helps in planning a trip, estimating travel time, calculating fuel consumption, and keeping track of expenses. It is also useful for analyzing the efficiency and effectiveness of transportation systems.

5. Can the total distance travel ever be negative?

No, the total distance travel cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the actual distance traveled, which cannot be less than zero.