How to Find a Unit Vector in the Direction of a Given Vector

• Thread starter chocolatelover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, to find a unit vector in the direction of the given vector w=-i-2j, you need to divide w by its magnitude, which in this case is √5. This can be represented graphically by drawing a line from the origin to -i-2j and finding the point where it intersects the circle of radius 1, or algebraically by dividing w by √5. This will give you a unit vector in the same direction as w, which is (-i-2j)/√5.
chocolatelover

Homework Statement

Find a unit vector in the direction of the given vector w=-i-2j

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

-i
_______

vertical -2j_________________

Could someone please show me how I would do it grafically and algebraically?

Do I just need to find the magnitude? Wouldn't any vector that has a negative x component and a negative y component work?

square root (-1)^2+(-2)^2=square root 5

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Any vector A divided by magnitude of A is a unit vector.

I haven't studied this in quite a while, but have you tried representing it with an Argand diagram?

http://scholar.hw.ac.uk/site/maths/topic11.asp?outline=

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much

Isn't the magnitude, in this case, the square root of 5?

So, would the unit vector be 1/square root of 5i? Aren't i and j the unit vectors? I'm already given the unit vectors, right? Don't I just need to find another one in the same direction?:confused:

Thank you

Well I had a quick check of old material, but the modulus of an Argand diagram or distance from 0 is the magnitude.

if z=x+yi then [itex]|z|=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}.[/itex]

http://www.clarku.edu/~djoyce/complex/abs.html

And then.

Like I say it's been a while but hope that helps.

Last edited:
Some straight answers …

chocolatelover said:

So, would the unit vector be 1/square root of 5i?

Aren't i and j the unit vectors?

I'm already given the unit vectors, right? Don't I just need to find another one in the same direction?:confused:

No-one gives you a straight answer, do they? :smile:

Yes, the magnitude is √5. (btw, type alt-v and it gives you √)

No, you mean the unit vector is (-i - 2j)/√5.

Yes, i and j are always unit vectors in this sort of question.

Yes, you're right. Why so puzzled?

Wouldn't any vector that has a negative x component and a negative y component work?

No - I don't see why you'd think that. :confused:

graphically and algebraically?

Algebraically, you've understood it fine!

Graphically: -i -2j is on the circle of radius √5; join it to the origin by a line; then you want the point where that line cuts the circle of radius 1. :smile:

Thank you very much everyone

Regards

chocolatelover said:

Right.

So, would the unit vector be 1/square root of 5i? Aren't i and j the unit vectors? I'm already given the unit vectors, right? Don't I just need to find another one in the same direction?:confused:

i and j are unit vectors along the positive x-axis and y-axis respectively, but you can find a unit vector in any direction. In this case, the given direction was along the vector w=-i-2j. So, you have to divide w by mod(w) to get the unit vector in the direction of w.

tiny-tim said:
No-one gives you a straight answer, do they? :smile:

You got that right. :biggrin: Everybody wants to make sure the OP does learn a bit at least by doing something himself/herself.

Shooting Star said:
You got that right. :biggrin: Everybody wants to make sure the OP does learn a bit at least by doing something himself/herself.

Including me, I just learned how to calculate the magnitude of a vector using an Argand diagram. Again. :smile:

1. What is a vector in algebra?

A vector in algebra is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing in a specific direction and has a length proportional to its magnitude.

2. How do you find the vector algebraically?

To find the vector algebraically, you need to determine the coordinates of its endpoint, which is represented by a point. Then, you subtract the coordinates of its initial point (starting point) from the coordinates of its endpoint to get the vector's components.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars are represented by a single number, while vectors are represented by both magnitude and direction (e.g. 5 meters north).

4. How do you add and subtract vectors algebraically?

To add or subtract vectors algebraically, you simply add or subtract their corresponding components. For example, to add two vectors, you add their x-components and their y-components separately to get the resulting vector.

5. Can you find the magnitude and direction of a vector algebraically?

Yes, you can find the magnitude and direction of a vector algebraically by using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. The magnitude is calculated using the formula sqrt(x^2 + y^2), and the direction is calculated using the formula tan^-1(y/x).