1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the volume of the region bounded by parabolic cylinder and planes

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume of the solid bounded by the parabolic cylinder y = x^2 and the planes z = 3-y and z = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Obviously, a triple integral must be used in the situation. Our professor never explained how to find the limits of integration, this is the part that is confusing me. I believe that the limits for z are 3-y and 0. However, I have no idea how to get the limits of x and y. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi mharten1! :smile:
    no, your first limits (for z, say) will just be two numbers (no y)

your next limits (for y, say) will depend on z

your third limits will depend on y and z

standard method: cut the region into horizontal slices between heights z and z+dz …

what is the 2D shape of each slice? :wink:

4. Apr 9, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Basically you want to draw a sketch of the solid you are trying to find the volume of. Can you visualize it? z=0 is the x-y plane. Where does the plane z=y-3 intersect the x-y plane?

5. Apr 9, 2012 #4
    Doesn't it intersect it when z=0? So at y=3?

6. Apr 9, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. So what region do you want to integrate z over in the x-y plane?

7. Apr 9, 2012 #6
    The region from 0 to 3? If that's not right, I guess I'm not visualizing this in the right way. I think I'll graph out the region so I can better see it.

8. Apr 9, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you should graph it out. You should anyway. "The region from 0 to 3?" isn't a very accurate description.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook