Find the volume of the region bounded by parabolic cylinder and planes

In summary: You should say "the region bounded by the parabolic cylinder y = x^2 and the planes z = 3-y and z = 0." I think you should graph it out. You should anyway.
mharten1

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid bounded by the parabolic cylinder y = x^2 and the planes z = 3-y and z = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously, a triple integral must be used in the situation. Our professor never explained how to find the limits of integration, this is the part that is confusing me. I believe that the limits for z are 3-y and 0. However, I have no idea how to get the limits of x and y. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi mharten1! :smile:
mharten1 said:
… the limits for z are 3-y and 0. However, I have no idea how to get the limits of x and y. Any help is greatly appreciated.

no, your first limits (for z, say) will just be two numbers (no y)

your next limits (for y, say) will depend on z

your third limits will depend on y and z

standard method: cut the region into horizontal slices between heights z and z+dz …

what is the 2D shape of each slice? :wink:

Basically you want to draw a sketch of the solid you are trying to find the volume of. Can you visualize it? z=0 is the x-y plane. Where does the plane z=y-3 intersect the x-y plane?

Dick said:
Basically you want to draw a sketch of the solid you are trying to find the volume of. Can you visualize it? z=0 is the x-y plane. Where does the plane z=y-3 intersect the x-y plane?

Doesn't it intersect it when z=0? So at y=3?

mharten1 said:
Doesn't it intersect it when z=0? So at y=3?

Sure. So what region do you want to integrate z over in the x-y plane?

Dick said:
Sure. So what region do you want to integrate z over in the x-y plane?

The region from 0 to 3? If that's not right, I guess I'm not visualizing this in the right way. I think I'll graph out the region so I can better see it.

mharten1 said:
The region from 0 to 3? If that's not right, I guess I'm not visualizing this in the right way. I think I'll graph out the region so I can better see it.

I think you should graph it out. You should anyway. "The region from 0 to 3?" isn't a very accurate description.

1. What is a parabolic cylinder?

A parabolic cylinder is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by sweeping a parabola along a straight line in one direction. It has a curved side and two flat ends.

2. How do I find the volume of a region bounded by a parabolic cylinder and planes?

To find the volume of this region, you can use the triple integral, where the boundaries are determined by the equations of the parabolic cylinder and the planes. The integral will give you the volume of the region in cubic units.

3. Can the region bounded by a parabolic cylinder and planes have a negative volume?

No, a region bounded by a parabolic cylinder and planes cannot have a negative volume. Volume is a measure of space and cannot be negative.

4. What if the region bounded by the parabolic cylinder and planes is not a perfect shape?

If the region is not a perfect shape, you can still find the volume by dividing it into smaller, simpler shapes and then using the appropriate formulas to find the volume of each shape. Then, you can add the volumes together to get the total volume of the region.

5. Can I use any units to measure the volume of the region?

Yes, you can use any units to measure the volume of the region as long as they are consistent. For example, if the region is measured in feet, the volume will be in cubic feet. If the region is measured in meters, the volume will be in cubic meters.