Phasor Circuit Analysis Homework: KCL & Z Equations for Capacitors"

In summary, the conversation discusses using KCL (Kirchoffs Current Law) and Z for the capacitor to solve a circuit problem. The attempt at a solution involves using a reference point and converting all current and voltage functions to phasors. After some corrections, the correct solution is found to be V1 = -6.04 - 0.51J. The conversation concludes with gratitude for the help and a reminder to be more careful in calculations.

Homework Statement

Selection_028.png

(Note, my answer below is also wrong. I've attempted this problem for about 1 hour now and I can't figure it out.)

Homework Equations

KCL (Kirchoffs Current Law)
Z for the capacitor, Z = 1/(jwC)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm using KCL at V1 with the following convention: +ve for current flowing out of the node, -ve for current flowing in

If the bottom of our circuit is the reference:
V2 = Vs

KCL at Node 1
-i1(t) + i2(t) + V1/23 - (Vs-V1/(-40j) = 0

Now I convert all the current and voltage functions to phasors.
i1(t) = 0.2(60d)
i2(t) = 0.1(-90d)
Vs(t) = 10(-180d)

Subbing into above...

-0.2(60d) + 0.1(-90d) + V1/23 - (10(-180d))/(-40j) + V1/(-40j) = 0

V1( 1/23 + 1/(-40j) ) = 0.2(60d) - 0.1(-90d) + 10(-180d) / (-40j)

V1 = (0.1 + 0.1732j + 0.1j - 10/(40j)) / (1/23 + 1/(-40j))

V1 = 6.93 + 8.05j

Converting this to phasor form,

V=10.622(40.3d)

But this is also wrong. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
x86 said:
i2(t) = 0.1(-90d)
Vs(t) = 10(-180d)

It looks like you are double-converting the signs. Do you really want to invert those phase angles? (It's been a long time since I used phasors, so maybe there is a reason).

Likes x86
berkeman said:
It looks like you are double-converting the signs. Do you really want to invert those phase angles? (It's been a long time since I used phasors, so maybe there is a reason).

Right, I think you are right. cosx = sin(x+90)

I'm going to try again with i2(t) = 0.1(0180d) = 0.1(0d) and Vs(t) = 10(90d)

-i1(t) + i2(t) + V1/23 - (Vs-V1/(-40j) = 0
-0.1(0d) + 0.2(60d) + V1/23 - 10(90d)/(-40j) + V1/(-40j) = 0

V1(1/23 + 1/(-40j)) = 0.1(0d) - 0.2(60d) + 10(90d) / (-40j)

V1 = -6.04 - 0.51 J

Yep. It is correct. Thank you, I really need to be more careful when calculating the little things :)

Likes berkeman

1. What is KCL and how is it used in phasor circuit analysis?

KCL stands for Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving that node. In phasor circuit analysis, KCL is used to determine the currents at each node in a circuit by applying the law to the phasor representations of the currents.

2. How do I use Z equations to analyze capacitors in a phasor circuit?

Z equations, or impedance equations, are used to represent the complex impedance of a capacitor in a phasor circuit. To use Z equations for capacitors, you must first calculate the capacitive reactance (Xc) using the equation Xc = 1/(2πfC), where f is the frequency in Hertz and C is the capacitance in Farads. Then, you can calculate the impedance (Z) using the equation Z = Xc + jXc, where j is the imaginary unit.

3. What is the difference between a phasor and a regular sinusoidal waveform?

A phasor is a mathematical representation of a sinusoidal waveform that includes both magnitude and phase information. In contrast, a regular sinusoidal waveform only includes the amplitude and frequency of the signal. Phasors are used in circuit analysis to simplify calculations and visualize the behavior of AC circuits.

4. Can KCL and Z equations be used for other types of components besides capacitors?

Yes, KCL and Z equations can be used for any type of component in a phasor circuit. KCL can be applied to any node in a circuit to determine the currents, while Z equations can be used to calculate the impedance for components such as resistors, inductors, and capacitors.

5. What are the limitations of using phasor circuit analysis with KCL and Z equations?

Phasor circuit analysis with KCL and Z equations is most accurate when the circuit has sinusoidal sources and linear components. It may not accurately represent the behavior of circuits with non-linear components or those with non-sinusoidal sources. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of parasitic elements in a circuit, such as stray capacitance and inductance.