Find y-component of Electric Field

In summary, there is a plane of charge with a surface charge density of 4.57 uC/m^2 at the origin in the xz-plane. The y-component of the electric field just to the right of the origin is 520,000N/C. Using the equation Enet = σ/ 2 ε0, the magnitude of the electric field on either side of the plane of charge is approximately 258070. However, this conflicts with the given value of the electric field, so further clarification is needed.
Erik1248

Homework Statement

A plane of charge lies in the xz-plane at the origin. Its surface charge density is =4.57 uC/m^2; other charges are present in the vicinity as well. Just to the right of the origin the y-component of the electric field is 520,000N/C. What is the y-component of the electric field just to the left of the origin. Answer must take into account direction of field (left negative, right positive).

Eright = 520000
σ = 4.57 uC/m^2

Homework Equations

Enet = σ/ 2 ε0
Enet = Eright + Eleft

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with Enet = σ/ 2 ε0 = 258070
Eright = 520000
so via Algebra, Eleft = -261930

The sum of Eleft and Eright should be 258070,
what am I doing wrong?

Thanks...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yo, erik welcome to physicsforums

I don't really understand the question. There is a plane of charge in the xz plane, going through the origin. OK, and just to the right of the origin, the y-component of the electric field is 520,000N/C I'm guessing that means the y direction is to the right?

You've got the equation Enet = σ/ 2 ε0 I don't know why you've called it Enet, because this equation tells you the magnitude of the electric field on either side of a plane of charge.

And you've got roughly the right answer for σ/ 2 ε0 = 258070 the magnitude of the electric field on either side of the plane of charge. But this doesn't make sense to me already, because this is in conflict with 520,000N/C as the value of the electric field.

What is the formula for finding the y-component of electric field?

The formula for finding the y-component of electric field is Ey = k * Q * y / (x^2 + y^2)^(3/2), where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the source, and y is the distance from the source along the y-axis.

How do you determine the direction of the y-component of electric field?

The direction of the y-component of electric field is determined by the sign of the charge of the source. If the source is positive, the y-component will point away from the source, and if the source is negative, the y-component will point towards the source.

Can the y-component of electric field be negative?

Yes, the y-component of electric field can be negative if the source is a negative charge. This indicates that the direction of the y-component is towards the source.

What are the units of the y-component of electric field?

The units of the y-component of electric field are Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) or Volts per meter (V/m).

How does the distance from the source affect the y-component of electric field?

The y-component of electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that the further away you are from the source, the weaker the y-component of electric field will be.