1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find y-component of Electric Field!

1. Feb 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A plane of charge lies in the xz-plane at the origin. Its surface charge density is =4.57 uC/m^2; other charges are present in the vicinity as well. Just to the right of the origin the y-component of the electric field is 520,000N/C. What is the y-component of the electric field just to the left of the origin. Answer must take into account direction of field (left negative, right positive).

Eright = 520000
    σ = 4.57 uC/m^2

2. Relevant equations

Enet = σ/ 2 ε0
    Enet = Eright + Eleft

3. The attempt at a solution

I started with Enet = σ/ 2 ε0 = 258070
    Eright = 520000
    so via Algebra, Eleft = -261930

The sum of Eleft and Eright should be 258070,
    what am I doing wrong?

Thanks...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

yo, erik welcome to physicsforums

I don't really understand the question. There is a plane of charge in the xz plane, going through the origin. OK, and just to the right of the origin, the y-component of the electric field is 520,000N/C I'm guessing that means the y direction is to the right?

You've got the equation Enet = σ/ 2 ε0 I don't know why you've called it Enet, because this equation tells you the magnitude of the electric field on either side of a plane of charge.

And you've got roughly the right answer for σ/ 2 ε0 = 258070 the magnitude of the electric field on either side of the plane of charge. But this doesn't make sense to me already, because this is in conflict with 520,000N/C as the value of the electric field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook