Finding Accerleration on a slope with friction

In summary, the given problem involves a figure with masses m1 = 3.6 kg and m2 = 5.1 kg, and a coefficient of kinetic friction μk = 0.25 between the inclined plane and the 3.6-kg block. The task is to find the magnitude of acceleration of the masses. The equation used is a = ((m2*g)-(m1*g*sin(theta)))/(m1+m2), where theta = 30 degrees. The attempt at a solution includes calculations to find the value of friction (Fn) and the magnitude of acceleration, which is found to be 4.599 m/s^2. However, the answer was incorrect and further help is needed.
fallen186
**Sorry the latex didn't really work for me.**

Homework Statement

In the figure below, m1 = 3.6 kg, m2 = 5.1 kg, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the inclined plane and the 3.6-kg block is μk = 0.25. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the masses.

m1 = 3.6 kg
m2 = 5.1 kg
μ = 0.25
Theta = 30

Homework Equations

a = ((m2*g)-(m1*g*sin(theta)))/(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since there is friction I did [tex] (m1*g*sin(theta)-μ*Fn
Fn = (.5*m1*g*3^.5)

a = ((5.1 kg*9.8 m/s^2) - (3.6 kg*9.8 m/s^2*sin(30)-.25(.5*3.6kg*9.8m/s^2*3^.5)))/(3.6kg+5.1kg)
a = (50.031- (17.658 - 7.638))/(8.7)

a = 4.599 m/s^2

I got this wrong. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fallen186,

fallen186 said:
**Sorry the latex didn't really work for me.**

Homework Statement

In the figure below, m1 = 3.6 kg, m2 = 5.1 kg, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the inclined plane and the 3.6-kg block is μk = 0.25. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the masses.

m1 = 3.6 kg
m2 = 5.1 kg
μ = 0.25
Theta = 30

Homework Equations

a = ((m2*g)-(m1*g*sin(theta)))/(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since there is friction I did [tex] (m1*g*sin(theta)-μ*Fn

There's not much detail about the problem, but the minus sign here means that m1 is moving down the incline. Is that what you intended?

I would first check to make sure all of my units are consistent. In your attempt at a solution, it looks like you have some inconsistencies in your units. For example, in the equation for Fn, you have used the square root of 3 in meters, but in your calculations for the forces, you are using the value of 3.6 kg for m1 instead of the square root of 3. This could be why you are getting a different answer than expected.

Additionally, when dealing with friction, it is important to remember that the force of friction is always in the opposite direction of motion. In this case, the 3.6 kg block is moving down the incline, so the force of friction would be acting up the incline, not down as you have it in your calculations.

I would also double check your calculations for the force of friction. It looks like you may have mixed up the coefficient of friction (μ) with the normal force (Fn). The correct equation for the force of friction would be μ*Fn.

Once you have checked for any inconsistencies and corrected any errors in your calculations, you should be able to find the correct magnitude of acceleration for the masses. Remember to always double check your work and use units consistently to ensure accurate results.

Related to Finding Accerleration on a slope with friction

What is acceleration on a slope with friction?

Acceleration on a slope with friction refers to the rate of change of an object's velocity as it moves along a slope while also experiencing the force of friction. It is a measure of how quickly the object's speed is changing as it moves down the slope.

How is acceleration calculated on a slope with friction?

To calculate acceleration on a slope with friction, you can use the equation a = (F - f)/m, where a is acceleration, F is the force applied to the object, f is the force of friction, and m is the mass of the object. This equation takes into account the opposing forces of the slope and friction, and the object's mass.

What factors affect acceleration on a slope with friction?

The main factors that affect acceleration on a slope with friction are the angle of the slope, the force of friction, and the mass of the object. A steeper slope will result in a greater acceleration, while a higher force of friction or a heavier object will result in a lower acceleration.

How does friction affect acceleration on a slope?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, so it will always decrease the acceleration of an object on a slope. This is because it creates a force that opposes the motion of the object, making it more difficult for the object to move down the slope.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction on a slope?

Static friction refers to the force that must be overcome in order for an object to start moving on a slope, while kinetic friction refers to the force that acts on an object as it is already in motion on a slope. In general, static friction is greater than kinetic friction, as it takes more force to overcome the initial resistance to motion.