Finding an expression for torque

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving torque and angular momentum. The equations for torque and angular momentum are given and the individual attempts at solving the problem are described. The conversation then progresses to discussing how to solve the problem by equating the given equations and solving a differential equation. The final step is to express one variable in terms of the others and plug it back into the original equation to get the correct answer. The conversation ends with a thank you from the student and a response from the expert.
Lucy Yeats

Homework Statement

http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/users/yassin/mechanics/problems/probs6_2011.pdf

Q 2b.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

T is torque and J is angular momentum.
T=dJ/dt=I dω/dt

I tried solving dω/dt=ωk to get dω/dt=ce^kt, but this may not help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lucy Yeats said:

Homework Statement

http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/users/yassin/mechanics/problems/probs6_2011.pdf

Q 2b.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

T is torque and J is angular momentum.
T=dJ/dt=I dω/dt

I tried solving dω/dt=ωk to get dω/dt=ce^kt, but this may not help.

They represented torque as N.

You're given N = kω ---equation 1

You also know that N = -I[itex]\frac{dω}{dt}[/itex] ---equation 2
(the negative sign is to keep N positive since they're concerned with the numerical value for torque).

You can equate equations 1 and 2 to get kω = -I[itex]\frac{dω}{dt}[/itex]

and solve the differential equation. Remember to apply the given bounds using definite integrals on both sides after separating the variables ω and t.

After that, express k in terms of the other variables, and put this back into equation 1 to get N.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, I've got the right answer now.

Thank you very much! :-)

Lucy Yeats said:
Great, I've got the right answer now.

Thank you very much! :-)

You're welcome. :smile:

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object and is defined as the product of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force. Mathematically, torque can be expressed as T = F × r, where T is torque, F is the force applied, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force. This expression shows that the magnitude of torque increases with the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation. Additionally, torque also has a direction, which is perpendicular to both the force and the distance from the axis of rotation. This can be represented by the right-hand rule, where the direction of the fingers represents the direction of the force and the direction of the thumb represents the direction of the torque.

In terms of angular momentum, torque can be expressed as the time rate of change of angular momentum, which is given by T = dJ/dt = I dω/dt, where J is angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. This equation shows that torque is directly proportional to the moment of inertia and the angular acceleration. It also highlights the relationship between torque and angular momentum, as any change in angular momentum must be accompanied by a corresponding torque.

In summary, torque can be expressed as T = F × r or T = dJ/dt = I dω/dt, depending on the context and the quantities involved. Understanding and being able to calculate torque is essential in the study of mechanics, as it plays a crucial role in rotational motion and the stability of objects.

Related to Finding an expression for torque

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is torque different from force?

While force is a measure of the push or pull on an object, torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate. Torque takes into account the distance from the axis of rotation, while force does not.

What is the equation for torque?

The equation for torque is τ = r x F, where τ is torque, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and F is the force applied.

How is torque calculated?

To calculate torque, you need to know the distance from the axis of rotation and the force applied. You then use the equation τ = r x F to determine the magnitude and direction of the torque.

Why is torque important?

Torque is important because it helps us understand how forces affect the motion of objects. It is also crucial in many practical applications, such as designing machines and structures, as well as in understanding the movement of living organisms.