Finding angular velocity of telescopic arm

In summary, angular velocity is a measurement of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point and is typically expressed in radians per second or degrees per second. It is important to find the angular velocity of a telescopic arm because it determines the arm's speed and required force for movement. The angular velocity of a telescopic arm can be calculated by dividing the change in angular position by the change in time. Several factors, such as arm length, load weight, and motor power, can affect the angular velocity. In real-world applications, the angular velocity of a telescopic arm is used to determine maximum load capacity, speed, torque, and power for efficient and safe operation.
berdan

Homework Statement

So ,here is the question : The structure is shown in the picture.
All I need is to find the angular velocity of telescopic arm BC ,in this current position.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3954/w6e.JPG

Homework Equations

Well,them simple ω=rXv/r[itex]\bullet[/itex]r

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt,and I don't know why it is wrong .

I said that ω[itex]_{bc}[/itex]=ω[itex]_{b}[/itex]-ω[itex]_{c}[/itex]

Then I calculated ω[itex]_{b}[/itex]=rXv/r[itex]\bullet[/itex]r , same with ω[itex]_{c}[/itex] .
The velocity of those points were simply r*ω of the joints.
I set the coordinates O point in the lower left corner . Anyway,I got the correct angular velocities next to that system of coordinates.
But when I tried to say ω[itex]_{bc}[/itex]=ω[itex]_{b}[/itex]-ω[itex]_{c}[/itex] , I got the wrong answer .
Why is that ?
What is the correct way to look at that problem ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I can see that you have already made an attempt at finding the angular velocity of the telescopic arm BC, but your approach may not be entirely correct.

Firstly, let's define the angular velocity of a body as the rate of change of its angular position with respect to time. In this case, we are looking for the angular velocity of the telescopic arm BC, which is rotating around the point B. Therefore, we need to find the angular position of the arm BC with respect to time.

As you correctly stated, the angular velocity of a point on a rotating body is given by the cross product of its position vector and its linear velocity. However, in this case, we need to consider the velocity of the arm BC as a whole, rather than just the velocities of points B and C.

To find the velocity of the arm BC, we can use the concept of relative motion. The velocity of point B is known, and we can calculate the velocity of point C relative to point B using the velocity addition formula. Once we have the velocity of point C relative to point B, we can then use the same formula to find the velocity of the arm BC relative to point B.

Once we have the velocity of the arm BC, we can then use the same approach as you did to find its angular velocity. However, we need to be careful with our coordinate system. It is important to note that the angular velocity of a body is independent of the coordinate system chosen, but the components of the angular velocity vector will change depending on the chosen coordinate system.

In this case, it may be helpful to choose a coordinate system with the origin at point B, as this will simplify the calculations. Once you have found the angular velocity of the arm BC, you can then convert it to the desired coordinate system by using the appropriate transformation equations.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measurement of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is typically expressed in units of radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

Why is it important to find the angular velocity of a telescopic arm?

The angular velocity of a telescopic arm is important because it determines how quickly the arm can move and how much force is required to move it. This information is crucial for designing and operating telescopic arms in various applications such as construction, manufacturing, and robotics.

How do you calculate the angular velocity of a telescopic arm?

The angular velocity of a telescopic arm can be calculated by dividing the change in the arm's angular position by the change in time. This is represented by the formula: ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is change in angular position, and Δt is change in time.

What factors can affect the angular velocity of a telescopic arm?

The angular velocity of a telescopic arm can be affected by several factors, including the length of the arm, the weight and distribution of the load, and the force and power of the motor or mechanism driving the arm. Friction and external forces, such as wind resistance, can also impact the angular velocity.

How is the angular velocity of a telescopic arm used in real-world applications?

The angular velocity of a telescopic arm is used in various real-world applications, such as in construction cranes, robotic arms, and telescopes. It helps engineers and operators determine the maximum load capacity and speed of the arm, as well as the amount of torque and power needed to move it efficiently and safely.