What Is the Correct Way to Calculate Average Force in a Jumping Scenario?

In summary, the person jumps from the roof of a house and when he strikes the ground, he bends his knees to decelerate. His torso experiences an average force of -2683.97 N.
sunnyday

Homework Statement

A person jumps from the roof of a house 4.2-mhigh. When he strikes the ground below, he bends his knees so that his torso decelerates over an approximate distance of 0.66 m .

If the mass of his torso (excluding legs) is 43 kg , find the magnitude of the average force exerted on his torso by his legs during deceleration.

Homework Equations

vy2 = v02 +2ad
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I already got 9.077 as v0 (this is correct)
vy = 0
d = 0.66

0 = 9.0772 + 2a(0.66)
-82.391 = 1.32a
a = -62.41F = 43(-62.41)
F = -2683.97 (this answer is wrong and I don't know why)

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps they want you to find the force of gravity during the deceleration and add that?

Jamison Lahman said:
Perhaps they want you to find the force of gravity during the deceleration and add that?

I don't know how to do that.

sunnyday said:
##F=m(a+a_g)##
Also, I believe magnitude implies a positive number.

sunnyday said:
What would the force on his torso have been if he had jumped from only .0001m? Or if he'd not jumped at all, but just stood there?

Soapbox: The question is wrong. There is no way to answer it with the information given.
Average force is defined as Δp/Δt, the change in momentum divided by the elapsed time. It cannot in general be calculated by ΔE/Δs, the change in energy divided by the distance the force moves. They will give the same answer if the force is constant, but otherwise they may be different. In the specific case of a person landing from a jump, the force will be small initially and increase as the muscles tauten.

Instead of asking for average force, the question should say "what is the force, assuming it is constant?"

See section 3 of https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-forces/ for a longer rant.

What is the definition of average force?

Average force is the measure of how much force is exerted over a certain period of time. It is calculated by dividing the total force by the duration of time over which it was exerted.

Why is finding average force important in science?

Average force is important because it allows us to understand the overall effect of a force on an object. It gives us a better understanding of the forces at play and how they may impact an object's motion or behavior.

How do you calculate average force?

To calculate average force, you need to know the total force and the duration of time over which it was exerted. Then, you can divide the total force by the duration of time to find the average force.

What are some real-world applications of finding average force?

Finding average force has many real-world applications, such as calculating the average force exerted by a car's engine on its wheels or determining the average force needed to accelerate a rocket into space. It can also be used in sports science to measure the average force exerted by athletes during different activities.

How does finding average force relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Finding average force is closely related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. By calculating average force, we can better understand how an object's mass and acceleration are affected by the forces acting upon it.