1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Beltrami field in Cartesian coordinates

1. Feb 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Working in Cartesian coordinates (x,y,z) and given that the function g is independent of x, find the functions f and g such that: v=coszi+f(x,y,z)j+g(y,z)k is a Beltrami field.

2. Relevant equations
    From wolfram alpha a Beltrami field is defined as v x (curl v)=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    So jumping in, I compute the curl of v and the cross product of the curl of v and v:
    Curl_V.png
    But then the above nasty equation results and surely this would give rise to some equally nasty PDEs?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So, that last equation gives three equations, since each component must be zero. Look at the first one, the x component. Only one term (f.fx) is a function of x. So what do you get if you differentiate wrt x?

4. Feb 19, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the tip haruspex but I'm a little confused as to what you mean. Differentiating the first component with respect to x will remove the function g(y,z) but still leave a nasty PDE.

I've found another piece of information which I think allows me to solve the problem and that is that a Beltrami field can also be denoted by curl v = kv where k>0 is just a constant. The second component then simplifies nicely where I've deduced k=1.

If I'm right I think f(x,y,z)=+-sin(z) and g(y,z)=0. This satisfies the equation. I think I initially doubted such answers as I believed that the functions f(x,y,z) and g(y,z) should contain at least y and z variables!

5. Feb 19, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I didn't think it was nasty. Using subscript notation, I got ##{f_x}^2+f_{xx}=0##. Dividing through by fx, this integrates to produce ##f^2=(Ax+B)\hat f(y,z)##.
    That sounds a very useful fact. Continuing my first principles approach, I also found g=0, but my f is a little more general: ##\sqrt{C-\cos^2z}##. Maybe I missed some way of showing C=1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted