Finding Beltrami field in Cartesian coordinates

Anyway, assuming that, we get the f you gave.In summary, the problem involves finding functions f and g in Cartesian coordinates that satisfy the equation v=coszi+f(x,y,z)j+g(y,z)k and make it a Beltrami field. This can be solved by computing the curl of v and using the fact that a Beltrami field can be denoted by curl v=kv, where k>0 is a constant. Solving for f and g, we get f(x,y,z)=+-sin(z) and g(y,z)=0, which satisfy the equation.
sgregory8

Homework Statement

Working in Cartesian coordinates (x,y,z) and given that the function g is independent of x, find the functions f and g such that: v=coszi+f(x,y,z)j+g(y,z)k is a Beltrami field.

Homework Equations

From wolfram alpha a Beltrami field is defined as v x (curl v)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

So jumping in, I compute the curl of v and the cross product of the curl of v and v:
Curl_V.png

But then the above nasty equation results and surely this would give rise to some equally nasty PDEs?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, that last equation gives three equations, since each component must be zero. Look at the first one, the x component. Only one term (f.fx) is a function of x. So what do you get if you differentiate wrt x?

haruspex said:
So, that last equation gives three equations, since each component must be zero. Look at the first one, the x component. Only one term (f.fx) is a function of x. So what do you get if you differentiate wrt x?

Thanks for the tip haruspex but I'm a little confused as to what you mean. Differentiating the first component with respect to x will remove the function g(y,z) but still leave a nasty PDE.

I've found another piece of information which I think allows me to solve the problem and that is that a Beltrami field can also be denoted by curl v = kv where k>0 is just a constant. The second component then simplifies nicely where I've deduced k=1.

If I'm right I think f(x,y,z)=+-sin(z) and g(y,z)=0. This satisfies the equation. I think I initially doubted such answers as I believed that the functions f(x,y,z) and g(y,z) should contain at least y and z variables!

sgregory8 said:
Differentiating the first component with respect to x will remove the function g(y,z) but still leave a nasty PDE.
I didn't think it was nasty. Using subscript notation, I got ##{f_x}^2+f_{xx}=0##. Dividing through by fx, this integrates to produce ##f^2=(Ax+B)\hat f(y,z)##.
sgregory8 said:
I've found another piece of information which I think allows me to solve the problem and that is that a Beltrami field can also be denoted by curl v = kv where k>0 is just a constant. The second component then simplifies nicely where I've deduced k=1.

If I'm right I think f(x,y,z)=+-sin(z) and g(y,z)=0. This satisfies the equation. I think I initially doubted such answers as I believed that the functions f(x,y,z) and g(y,z) should contain at least y and z variables!
That sounds a very useful fact. Continuing my first principles approach, I also found g=0, but my f is a little more general: ##\sqrt{C-\cos^2z}##. Maybe I missed some way of showing C=1.

What is the Beltrami field in Cartesian coordinates?

The Beltrami field in Cartesian coordinates is a vector field that satisfies the Beltrami equation, which is a special case of the Navier-Stokes equations. It is a solution to the equation that describes the motion of a fluid, and it is characterized by having a constant vorticity vector parallel to the velocity of the fluid.

Why is it important to find the Beltrami field in Cartesian coordinates?

The Beltrami field is important because it can provide insight into the dynamics of a fluid and help predict its behavior. It is also useful in various applications, such as in aerodynamics and weather forecasting.

What are the steps involved in finding the Beltrami field in Cartesian coordinates?

The steps involved in finding the Beltrami field in Cartesian coordinates include setting up the Beltrami equation, solving it for the velocity components, and then using the velocity components to calculate the vorticity vector. This can be a complex process and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

What are some real-life examples of the Beltrami field in Cartesian coordinates?

The Beltrami field can be seen in various fluid flow phenomena, such as the flow of air around an airplane wing or the flow of water in a river. It also plays a role in the formation of tornadoes and hurricanes.

Are there any limitations to finding the Beltrami field in Cartesian coordinates?

One limitation is that the Beltrami field assumes a perfect, ideal fluid with no viscosity. In reality, all fluids have some level of viscosity, which can affect the accuracy of the results. Additionally, the Beltrami field may not fully capture all the complexities of a fluid's behavior, so other models may be needed for a more complete understanding.