Finding equation of equlibrium for rod and two blocks

In summary: But I do agree that it is a little ambiguous.In summary, the problem involves a slender rod AB with weight W attached to blocks A and B which move freely in the given guides. The constant of the spring is k and the spring is unstretched when θ = 0. Part (a) involves deriving an equation in W, k, l, and θ for equilibrium, while part (b) asks for the value of θ when W = 4.5 lb, l = 30 in., and k = 1.8 lb/ft. The equations of equilibrium are ΣF_x = 0, ΣF_y = 0, and ΣM_B = 0. Using these
KEØM

Homework Statement

A slender rod AB of weight W is attached to blocks A and B which move freely in the guides shown. The constant of the spring is k, and the spring is unstretched when [tex]\theta[/tex] = 0. (a) Neglecting the weight of the blocks, derive an equation in W, k, l, and [tex]\theta[/tex] which must be satisfied when the rod is in equilibrium. (b) Determine the value of [tex]\theta[/tex] when W = 4.5 lb, l = 30 in., and k = 1.8 lb/ft.

Here is a picture of the problem. It is number 4.60
"[URL title="download file from Jumala Files"]http://jumalafiles.info/showfile2-15016951829111680748225395249314210/problem460.pdf [/URL]

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma F_{x} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\Sigma F_{y} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\Sigma M_{B} = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]F_{s} = ks = lsin(\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\Sigma M_{B} = lsin(\theta)(klsin(\theta) - lcos(\theta)A_{y} + W(l/2cos)(\theta) = 0[/tex] where [tex]A_{y}[/tex] is the reaction force at A.

[tex]\Sigma F_{y} = A_{y} - W = 0[/tex]

[tex]\Sigma M_{B} = lsin(\theta)(klsin(\theta) - lcos(\theta)W + W(l/2cos)(\theta) = 0[/tex]

[tex]\Sigma M_{B} = l^2sin^2(\theta)k - (l/2)cos(\theta)W = 0[/tex]

[tex] \frac{2lk}{W} = \frac{cos(\theta)}{sin^2(\theta)} [/tex]

After inverting both sides and using the identity [tex]sin^2(\theta) + cos^2(\theta) = 1[/tex]

I get for an answer:

[tex]sec(\theta) - cos(\theta) = \frac{W}{2lk}[/tex]

The book's answer is [tex]tan(\theta) - sin(\theta) = \frac{W}{2lk}[/tex]

Can someone tell me where I went wrong?

Thanks in advance,

KEØM

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I approached it a little more simply using the Tension in the arm L.

At equilibrium you have in the vertical direction

mg = T*sinθ

In the horizontal direction

kx = T*cosθ

Noting that x = (1 - cosθ)*(L/2)

then solving. I think that yields the answer in the book.

Thanks for the reply LowlyPion. I have a couple of questions. When I solve your equations I get:
[tex]tan(\theta) - sin(\theta) = \frac{2W}{kl}[/tex].

I have probably done something wrong though.

I don't understand how you got your x. Your equation is telling me that it is half the distance of the rod minus the horizontal distance that half of the length of the rod covers. I don't understand how that gives you x.

One more question: Shouldn't your forces in the x direction be [tex]kx = -Tcos(\theta).[/tex]
Or shouldn't one of your equations have a negative?

Thanks again,

KEØM

KEØM said:
I don't understand how that gives you x.

Isn't W acting at L/2 along the rod? It just seems to me that you would want to take the tension from that point to A.

As to the minus sign, the Tension is oppositely directed at A and L/2, I just took the direction that they seemed to be naturally acting.

1. What is the equation of equilibrium for a rod and two blocks system?

The equation of equilibrium for a rod and two blocks system is F1 + F2 + Mg = 0, where F1 and F2 are the forces acting on the blocks and M is the mass of the rod.

2. How do you find the forces acting on the blocks in the equation of equilibrium?

The forces acting on the blocks can be found by using Newton's second law, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. By setting the acceleration to zero, we can find the forces acting on the blocks in the equation of equilibrium.

3. What is the significance of the mass of the rod in the equation of equilibrium?

The mass of the rod is significant because it affects the distribution of forces in the system. In the equation of equilibrium, the mass of the rod is multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity, which accounts for the weight of the rod pulling down on the system.

4. Can the equation of equilibrium be used for any system with multiple objects?

Yes, the equation of equilibrium can be used for any system with multiple objects as long as the system is in a state of equilibrium. This means that the net force and net torque acting on the system must be equal to zero.

5. How can the equation of equilibrium be applied to real world scenarios?

The equation of equilibrium can be applied to real world scenarios, such as analyzing the forces acting on a bridge or determining the stability of a structure. It can also be used in physics experiments to study the effects of different forces on a system and to calculate unknown forces.