Finding impedance 'looking in'?

• Thread starter sherrellbc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impedance
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of impedance, specifically the impedance at the base of a PNP transistor. The solution is found to be the rπ parameter associated with the use of the hybrid pi model for the BJT. The conversation also clarifies that impedance requires two points and cannot be described as "looking in" from a single point.
sherrellbc

Homework Statement

slmgev.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

The impedance in question(Rib) is defined to be, exactly like Rin or any other impedance at a point:

Rb = Vb/Ib

I took the approach of first finding Ib. I did this by using the Beta value given and the emitter current. Using the relationship: Ib = Ie/(beta+1) = 10mA/131 = 76.24μA. Using Ib you can find Vb by making use of the fact that current is drawn into the base of the transistor for PNP devices. Vb = V2 - Ib*Rb = 736.6mV.

Thus, Rib = Vb/Ib = 0.7366V/76.24uA = 9649Ω

This solution is incorrect.
How would one find Rin?

Can someone more clearly explain to me the concept impedances at different part of the circuit? By this I mean, the impedance looking into a certain part of the circuit. I thought of it as the impedance at a certain point, if you will. As in, if you were to somehow 'see', or 'enter,' the base of this transistor, you would encounter Rib impedance. Maybe someone else can explain this concept better to me. I somewhat visualize this concept as one that must be defined by Ohm's Law. As such, if one measures the voltage at a given points as well as the associated current, then there must be a resistance seen by that point.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as "impedance at a point". It is always between two parts of the circuit.
In this case, ##R_{ib}## is between ##v_{out}## and ground.

It is easier to think of it in terms of DC resistance - which is what you get when you put the terminals of an Ohmmeter at the two points you want the resistance between.

iirc. to get the output impedence here you have to short-circuit all the voltage sources and open circuit the current sources and model the transistor as a network of ideal components. It also helps to redraw the circuit with one ground rail instead of all those gnd symbols all over the place.

By 'at a point' I meant 'looking in' from that point. The impedance I am looking for in this case is actually the impedance seen at the base of the transistor.

Apparently, the solution turns out to be the rπ parameter associated with the use of the hybrid pi model for the BJT. Can someone explain this?

sherrellbc said:
Apparently, the solution turns out to be the rπ parameter associated with the use of the hybrid pi model for the BJT. Can someone explain this?

Try replacing the pnp BJT with the hybrid pi model and have a look at all the paths looking in from the base to ground. One of them shorts out all the others (edit: Correction, the path to ground after r_π).

Last edited:
Using the hybrid pi model, the emitter is grounded. So, the base terminal is connected to the pi parameter resistor then directly to ground. I suppose I did not think of it in this manner. I just have always been preached the equation I originally submitted in the first post.

Rib = Vb/Ib

Well done ... just a niggle:
By 'at a point' I meant 'looking in' from that point.
There is no such thing as impedance 'looking in' from a point. Impedance requires two points by definition.
i.e. the input impedance is the impedance "looking in" between the input terminals - there are two of them.

This could trip you up more later.

Anyway - you got the "model for the transistor" part :)

Related to Finding impedance 'looking in'?

1. What is impedance and why is it important in science?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition that a circuit presents to the flow of alternating current. It is important in science because it affects the performance of electronic devices and can be used to analyze and troubleshoot circuits.

2. How is impedance calculated?

Impedance is calculated by taking the ratio of voltage to current in an alternating current circuit. It is typically measured in ohms (Ω) and can be represented by a complex number with both real and imaginary components.

3. What does it mean to "find impedance 'looking in'"?

Finding impedance "looking in" refers to determining the total impedance of a circuit from the perspective of an external source. This is useful in understanding how the circuit will behave and how it may affect other components in the system.

4. How does the concept of impedance apply to different types of circuits?

Impedance applies to all types of circuits, including resistive, capacitive, and inductive circuits. In resistive circuits, impedance is equal to resistance. In capacitive and inductive circuits, impedance is affected by the frequency of the alternating current.

5. What factors can affect impedance in a circuit?

Impedance in a circuit can be affected by factors such as the type of components used, the frequency of the alternating current, the length and thickness of wires, and the overall complexity of the circuit. Temperature and environmental conditions can also impact impedance.