How can I find the number of turns in a solenoid winding?

In summary: For part (a), what values in the formula for the inductance of the solenoid are unknowns (values that you haven't been given)?
kdawg4
A 30mH solenoid inductor is wound on a form 0.4 m in length and 0.1 m in diameter. A coil is tightly wound around the solenoid at its center. the coil resistance is 5.0 ohms. The mutual inductance of the coil and solenoid is 60μH. At a given instant, the current in the solenoid is 0.3A and is decreasing at a rate of 2.5A/s.

a) Find the number of turns in the winding of the solenoid
b) Find the induced emf at the given instant.
c) At the given instant, the flux linkage N(phi) for the solenoid is...

Hey guys, really need a nice simple answer here, thank you...I'm new to the forum by the way :D

At first I used the formula mu(n1)(n2)A/L equals the mutual inductance but now I am stumped since you have 2 unknowns and I don't know how to find one of them

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

kdawg4 said:
A 30mH solenoid inductor is wound on a form 0.4 m in length and 0.1 m in diameter. A coil is tightly wound around the solenoid at its center. the coil resistance is 5.0 ohms. The mutual inductance of the coil and solenoid is 60μH. At a given instant, the current in the solenoid is 0.3A and is decreasing at a rate of 2.5A/s.

a) Find the number of turns in the winding of the solenoid
b) Find the induced emf at the given instant.
c) At the given instant, the flux linkage N(phi) for the solenoid is...

Hey guys, really need a nice simple answer here, thank you...I'm new to the forum by the way :D
At first I used the formula mu(n1)(n2)A/L equals the mutual inductance but now I am stumped since you have 2 unknowns and I don't know how to find one of them

Hi kdawg4, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Which part of the problem are you working on? Do you know the formula for the inductance of a solenoid?

I am currently workingon all three, and yes I know the formula for the inductance of a solenoid

kdawg4 said:
I am currently workingon all three, and yes I know the formula for the inductance of a solenoid

Okay then, for part (a), what values in the formula for the inductance of the solenoid are unknowns (values that you haven't been given)?

Hi there! I am happy to help you with your questions. Let's break down the problem step by step.

a) To find the number of turns in the winding of the solenoid, we can use the formula for mutual inductance: M = μ0n1n2A/L. We know that μ0 is the permeability of free space (4π x 10^-7 H/m), A is the cross-sectional area of the solenoid (πr^2 where r is the radius of the solenoid), and L is the length of the solenoid. We are given the values for all of these parameters, except for n1 and n2. However, we can rearrange the formula to solve for n1 or n2. Let's solve for n1:

n1 = M/(μ0n2A/L)

Now, we can plug in the values we know and solve for n1:

n1 = (60 x 10^-6 H)/[(4π x 10^-7 H/m)(n2)(π(0.05 m)^2/0.4 m)]

n1 = 6.82 x 10^4 n2

b) To find the induced emf at the given instant, we can use the formula for emf in an inductor: emf = -L(dI/dt). We know the value for L (30 x 10^-3 H) and we are given the rate of change of current (2.5 A/s). We can plug these values in and solve for the induced emf:

emf = -(30 x 10^-3 H)(2.5 A/s) = -75 mV

c) At the given instant, the flux linkage N(phi) for the solenoid is equal to the mutual inductance (M) multiplied by the current in the solenoid (I). So, we can use the formula N(phi) = MI to find the flux linkage:

N(phi) = (60 x 10^-6 H)(0.3 A) = 18 μWb

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Welcome to the forum!

1. How do I find the induced emf in a coil wound around a solenoid?

The induced emf in a coil wound around a solenoid can be found using Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that the induced emf is equal to the negative rate of change of magnetic flux through the coil. This can be expressed as Emf = -N * (dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the coil and Φ is the magnetic flux through the coil.

2. What is the significance of the number of turns in a coil wound around a solenoid?

The number of turns in a coil wound around a solenoid is directly related to the induced emf in the coil. The more turns there are in the coil, the higher the induced emf will be. This is because each turn of the coil contributes to the total magnetic flux through the coil, and therefore, the higher the number of turns, the greater the change in magnetic flux and the greater the induced emf.

3. How do I calculate the flux linkage of a coil wound around a solenoid?

The flux linkage of a coil wound around a solenoid can be calculated by multiplying the number of turns in the coil by the magnetic flux through the coil. This can be expressed as Λ = N * Φ, where Λ is the flux linkage, N is the number of turns, and Φ is the magnetic flux.

4. Can the induced emf, number of turns, and flux linkage of a coil wound around a solenoid change?

Yes, the induced emf, number of turns, and flux linkage of a coil wound around a solenoid can all change depending on the factors affecting them. The induced emf can change if there is a change in the magnetic flux through the coil or if the number of turns in the coil is altered. Similarly, the number of turns and flux linkage can also change if there is a change in the magnetic flux or if the number of turns is changed.

5. What factors can affect the induced emf, number of turns, and flux linkage of a coil wound around a solenoid?

The induced emf, number of turns, and flux linkage of a coil wound around a solenoid can be affected by various factors such as the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, the size and shape of the solenoid, and the material properties of the coil and solenoid. Temperature can also affect these factors, as changes in temperature can alter the conductivity and resistance of the materials involved.