Finding magnitude of new electric fields

In summary, the magnitude of the net electric field at point P due to four fixed particles with charges q1 = q2 = 3e, q3 = 2e, and q4 = -10e at a distance of d = 5.42 μm is given by the equation E=1/(4πε0) x [ q4/2d^2-q3/d^2] j =1/(4πε0) X [(10q/4d)^2- (2q/d^2) and is dependent on the values of the charges and distance d. However, there are some discrepancies in the equations provided and the nature of the electric field which may have resulted in an incorrect calculation
wbetting

Homework Statement

In Fig. 22-31 the four particles are fixed in place and have charges q1 = q2 = 3e, q3 = 2e, and q4 = -10e. Distance d = 5.42 μm. What is the magnitude of the net electric field at point P due to the particles?

Homework Equations

E=1/(4πε0) x [ q4/2d^2-q3/d^2] j

=1/(4πε0) X [(10q/4d)^2- (2q/d^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

my work is above and i got 1.53 x 10^20 which is wrong and i have no idea where i went wrong! i followed the student solution manual!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi wbetting! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 buttons just above the Reply box :wink:)
wbetting said:
In Fig. 22-31 the four particles are fixed in place and have charges q1 = q2 = 3e, q3 = 2e, and q4 = -10e. Distance d = 5.42 μm. What is the magnitude of the net electric field at point P due to the particles?

Homework Equations

E=1/(4πε0) x [ q4/2d^2-q3/d^2] j

=1/(4πε0) X [(10q/4d)^2- (2q/d^2)

is this a square? where is P?

why is there no q1 or q2 in your equations?

and why do your equations look like scalar equations when the electric field is a vector? :confused:

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

FAQ: Finding magnitude of new electric fields

1. What is the formula for finding the magnitude of a new electric field?

The formula for finding the magnitude of a new electric field is given by E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge creating the electric field, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the electric field is being measured.

2. How do you determine the direction of a new electric field?

The direction of a new electric field can be determined by using the principle of superposition. This means that the direction of the electric field at a certain point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields created by each charge present. The direction of the electric field is always directed away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

3. Can the magnitude of a new electric field be negative?

No, the magnitude of a new electric field cannot be negative. Magnitude refers to the size or quantity of something, and electric field is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It is possible for the electric field to be zero, but it cannot have a negative magnitude.

4. How does the distance from a charge affect the magnitude of a new electric field?

The magnitude of a new electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the charge. This means that as the distance from the charge increases, the magnitude of the electric field decreases. This is known as the inverse square law and is an important factor to consider when calculating electric fields.

5. Can the magnitude of a new electric field change over time?

Yes, the magnitude of a new electric field can change over time. This can happen if the charges creating the electric field are in motion, or if the electric field is affected by other forces. In a changing electric field, the magnitude and direction can vary depending on the specific conditions at a given time.

Back