Finding Major and Minor Strain from Mohr Circle of Stress

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
mjocalla
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hey everyone.

Quick question about the Mohr circle.

If I have got the major and minor stress from a Mohr Circle of stress how do you go about finding the major and minor strains?

Can you just use Young's Modulus equation and value for Young's Modulus or will I need to construct Mohr Circle of Strain?

Thanks for any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mjocalla said:
Can you just use Young's Modulus equation and value for Young's Modulus or will I need to construct Mohr Circle of Strain?

I don't see why you would construct another Mohr circle. If you have Young's modulus given, and if you know the stresses, you can find the strain.
 
Thanks for your help.

The question I was trying to ask was would the major/minor strain occur when the stress corresponds to the major/minor stress and vice versa?
 
Yes. The principal strains will lie in the same direction as the principal stresses. The only real difference between the Mohr's Circle for plane stress and plane strain is that for the circle in strain, the Y axis (shear strain) is equal to half of the shear strain.