Finding Minimum Friction for Static Wedge: A Free Body Analysis Approach

  • Thread starter Thread starter safat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Friction Plane
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
safat
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the minimum μ required between wedge M and ground so that it stays static.


Homework Equations



I already found the equations for accelerations and tension (when μ is big).
Do I need them?

The Attempt at a Solution


I would like to know whether I found all the forces acting on the wedge. (see attachment)
Which component should I use for the green arrow force?
NB the red forces act on the wedge
 
Attachments
  • Screenshot from 2013-03-11 20:31:41.png
    Screenshot from 2013-03-11 20:31:41.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Go through the usual free body analysis on the two blocks (assuming the wedge is stationary) to find the acceleration and the tension. Then figure out the forces the tension applies to the wedge.