1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding out internal resistance of a lemon when used as a power supply

1. Dec 13, 2007 #1
    Hi There,

Right I recently did an experiment in Physics to find out the internal resistance of a lemon when used as a power supply.

We connected the lemon to a voltmeter, ammeter and variable resistor, changed the resistance on the variable resistance and measured the voltage and current against each other.

So i have a table of voltage against current.

I have drawn a graph of voltage against current, voltage on y axis, and current on the x axis. And drawn a line of best fit. Voltage is in milli volts, 10^-3 and current is in micro volts 10^-6

How would i go about finding the EMF and eventually the Internal resistance of the lemon when used as a power supply.

Also how would i go about finding the intercept of the graph if the line of best fit does not go through the y axis on the scale i have used.

Anything to help would be fantastic

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The intercept is the point at which the line crosses the Y axis.
    This would be the voltage with no current (hint what's the definition of the emf of a cell?)
    The slope of the graph is voltage/current, ( hint what's ohm's law?)

4. Dec 13, 2007 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

A straight line must pass through the y-axis somewhere if it's extended far enough, unless it's vertical (and therefore parallel to the y-axis).

I suspect you need to "zoom out" your graph scale so the intercept is actually visible on the graph.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook