Finding Reactions in a Pinned and Roller Supported Beam

• Thread starter andycampbell1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frames
In summary, the beam has a pinned support at A, Roller supports at B and C, and a pin. The support at A has a +4.00 kN reaction and the support at B has a +6.00 kN reaction. The reaction at the pin is zero. The reactions at A and B are combined to find the reaction at C which is +7.50 kN.
andycampbell1

Homework Statement

The beam ABC in attachment has a pinned support at A and Roller supports at B and C. P is an internal pin. I have to determine the reactions at A, B and C and at the pin P when the beam is loaded as shown in the attachment
structuralmech.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]V=O [tex]\Sigma[/tex]H=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have split the problem in half and started with the right hand side. I have worked out the reaction at the pin as +4.00 kN and the reaction at C as +6.00 kN. I have done this by taking the moments of P as (10x3)-VC*5=0. I then worked out the sum of the vertical which = 0 to get the reaction at the pin that was VP-VC-10= 0 meaning that VP =+4.00 kN. I have worked out the horizontals on the left by doing the sum of the horizontals = 0, [tex]\Sigma[/tex]H=0
=HA-15cos60=0 HA= +7.5kN. What I would like to know is how to find out the vertical reaction at A and B Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
andycampbell1: Nice work, so far. Hint 1: For the left-hand side, take moments about point A or B.

I have tried taking the moments of A. The book I am working from gives me the answers for VA as +3.87kN and VB as +13.12kN. For taking moments about A I tried this

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]MA=0
=2.5x15sin(60)-VBx4=0.
I have also tried adding VBx4 and adding the value of the pin and dividing by the length of 5 but I cannot come up with what the book states as the answer. Would I be as well to keep this as 2 separate structures for taking the moments of A or using the whole structure?

Keeping this as two separate structures for taking moments is good, if you wish. Either way you prefer is fine. Your MA summation, above, omitted VP. You cannot omit forces on your structure (or on your sectioned-off portion of a structure). Also, see the last paragraph of post https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2946515".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi finally managed to get it, this is what I done

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]MA=0
=(2.5x15sin60)+(VPx5)-VBx4)=0
=(32.48)+(20)-(VBx4)=0
VB=+13.12 kN

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]V=0
=VA+VB-15sin60-VP=0
= 0 + 13.12 - 12.99 - 4 = 0
VA = +3.87 kN

Thanks for the links they have helped me.

What is a pinned supported frame?

A pinned supported frame is a structure that is supported by pins or hinges at each end, allowing it to rotate freely. This type of frame is commonly used in building construction and engineering applications.

Why are pinned supported frames useful?

Pinned supported frames are useful because they can resist both vertical and horizontal loads, making them ideal for structures that require flexibility and stability. They also distribute forces evenly, reducing the risk of structural failure.

What are the main advantages of using pinned supported frames?

The main advantages of using pinned supported frames include their ability to distribute forces evenly, their flexibility, and their cost-effectiveness. They also allow for easy construction and maintenance compared to other types of frames.

What are the limitations of pinned supported frames?

One major limitation of pinned supported frames is that they can only resist forces in one direction. They are also not suitable for structures that require a high degree of rigidity, such as tall buildings or bridges.

How are pinned supported frames designed?

Pinned supported frames are designed by analyzing the forces and loads acting on the structure. Engineers use mathematical equations and computer simulations to determine the appropriate size and placement of the frame's components to ensure its stability and safety.