Finding tension of a swinging mass

In summary, the problem involves a 5kg monkey swinging on a 4m long vine with an initial angle of 25 degrees and a velocity of 2 m/s. The question asks for the tension in the string at the bottom and at an angle of 15 degrees. The relevant equations are k = (1/2)mv^2 + mgh and u = mgh, which involve the conservation of energy in kinetic and potential forms. To solve the problem, start by drawing a free body diagram.
hongus

Homework Statement

A m = 5kg monkey swings on a vine the length l = 4m. His initial angle is theta = 25 degrees and he is moving at v = 2 m/s at the instant he begins his swing.
a. What is the tension in the string at the bottom?
b. What is the tension in the string at theta = 15 degrees?
Here's a picture of the diagram, not necessary but makes it easier
mt2vU.jpg

Homework Equations

I'm not really sure but here's a few.
k = (1/2)mv^2 + mgh
u = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to involve the theta into the equation, so I can't even really get started. Sorry for being so bad at physics :( If it helps, at the moment we're learning about the conservation of energy, in kinetic and potential energy. Thank you for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do You know the meaning of equations you wrote?

Start with the free body diagram.

1. What is the formula for finding the tension of a swinging mass?

The formula for finding the tension of a swinging mass is T = mgcosθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the swinging mass.

2. How does the angle of the swinging mass affect the tension?

The angle of the swinging mass affects the tension by changing the component of the mass's weight that is acting in the direction of the swing. As the angle increases, the tension decreases.

3. Does the mass of the swinging object affect the tension?

Yes, the mass of the swinging object does affect the tension. The greater the mass, the greater the tension.

4. What is the relationship between tension and the length of the string?

The relationship between tension and the length of the string is an inverse relationship. As the length of the string increases, the tension decreases.

5. How do I measure the tension of a swinging mass?

The tension of a swinging mass can be measured using a spring scale or a force sensor. Simply attach the scale or sensor to the string holding the mass and record the reading as the mass swings back and forth.