Finding the angle between two tangent vectors

In summary, the problem involves finding the cosine of the angle between two space curves, r1(t) and r2(s), at the intersection point (1, 0, 2). The steps involve setting the parameters t and s equal to 1, differentiating the curves to find the tangent vectors, and using the unit tangent vectors to find the cosine of the angle.
navalava

Homework Statement

Consider the two space curves
r1(t) = <cos(t − 1), t^2 − 1, 2t^4>
r2(s) = <1 + ln s, s^2 − 2s + 1, 2s^2>,
where t and s are two independent real parameters.
Find the cosine of the angle between the tangent vectors of the two curves at the intersection point
(1, 0, 2).

Please show me steps..thank you!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set cos(t-1)=1 and got t=1.
In the same manner, I got s=1.
But I'm not sure how to get r'(1)...I'd appreciate any help on this!

Physics news on Phys.org
You find a tangent vector to a curve by differentiating the curve, don't you?

Yeah, I differentiated it and got r'(1)=<0.841,0,0> and |r'(1)|=0.841, which seems like an odd number...I wanted to confirm that I did it right.
I also got r2'(1)=<1,0,4> and |r2'(1)|=sq.root17.
Is this right? And I just set them over each other to get the tangent vector right?

0.841=sin(1). Seems ok so far. You set them 'over each other' to get two unit tangent vectors. Then what?

1. What is the definition of tangent vectors?

Tangent vectors are vectors that are drawn tangent to a curve at a specific point, representing the direction and rate of change of the curve at that point.

2. How do you find the angle between two tangent vectors?

To find the angle between two tangent vectors, you can use the dot product formula: θ = cos^-1((u∙v)/(|u||v|)), where u and v are the two tangent vectors.

3. Can the angle between two tangent vectors be negative?

No, the angle between two tangent vectors cannot be negative. The angle is always measured between 0 and 180 degrees, and negative values do not make sense in this context.

4. Is the angle between two tangent vectors affected by the position of the vectors on the curve?

Yes, the angle between two tangent vectors can be affected by the position of the vectors on the curve. If the vectors are closer to each other on the curve, the angle will be smaller, and if they are farther apart, the angle will be larger.

5. What is the practical application of finding the angle between two tangent vectors?

Finding the angle between two tangent vectors is useful in many areas of science and engineering, such as analyzing the motion of objects, calculating forces and velocities, and understanding the behavior of curves and surfaces.