Finding the angle of an electric field with respect to an axis

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 21K views
CentreShifter
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The electric potential at points in an xy plane is given by V = (2.7 V/m2)x2 -(4.4 V/m2)y2. What are (a) the magnitude of the electric field at the point (3.4 m, 1.6 m) and (b) the angle that the field there makes with the positive x direction.

Homework Equations



I have already taken the partial derivatives of V with respect to x and y to get the components to the field and then the magnitude. Ex=18.36 V/m and Ey=-14.08 V/m

The Attempt at a Solution



The magnitude of the field at the given point is 23.137 V/m. I absolutely cannot for the life of me figure out how to calculate that angle, and I know it's in front of my face. I've tried arctan, but it just doesn't work.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That's what I thought! Apparently it's not, hence my frustration.
 
CentreShifter said:
Ex=18.36 V/m and Ey=-14.08 V/m

Erm, are you sure about Ey?
 
Nabeshin said:
Erm, are you sure about Ey?

If I'm wrong it's the sign. I know this because I have verified the magnitude is correct.
 
CentreShifter said:
If I'm wrong it's the sign. I know this because I have verified the magnitude is correct.

Where did the 14.08 come from?
 
Nabeshin said:
Where did the 14.08 come from?

I used the definition of the derivative: [tex]\frac{f(a,b+h)-f(a,b)}{h}[/tex]. h was .001.