Finding the area of a pipe, rate of flow

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
bnosam
Messages
148
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Water flows from a pipe at 650 L/min. a) What is the diameter of the pipe (in cm) of that pipe, if the water flows at 1.5 m/s?

Homework Equations



Q = V*A

Now the equation for the area of a pipe is A = ∏r^2


The Attempt at a Solution



Q = 650 L/min
V = 1.5 m/s

So the equation should be A = Q/V

A = (650 L/min) / (1.5 m/s)

Now after this part I really have no clue, my next guess would be to possibly change units? But I'm not quite sure which units I'd have to change to to get the answer.

I looked in the back of my book and the answer is 9.6 cm, but what use is the answer if you can't get there, right?

Any help, hints etc would be appreciated :) thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How many liters are there in a cubic meter?
Hint 1 litre = 1 cubic decimeter = a cube 10cm on each side.
 
Simon Bridge said:
How many liters are there in a cubic meter?
Hint 1 litre = 1 cubic decimeter = a cube 10cm on each side.

A cubic metre would contain 1000 litres.

I just solved it...turns out I was putting the decimal point in the wrong place...oh my gosh. Hahaha

Thanks Simon.
 
No worries. Just got to watch those conversion factors ;)
Simon