Finding the area of a pipe, rate of flow

In summary: The conversation includes discussing relevant equations and units, as well as solving the problem step by step. In summary, the calculation involves using the equation A = Q/V and converting units properly. The final answer is 9.6 cm. The conversation also briefly mentions the conversion of liters to cubic meters.
bnosam

Homework Statement

Water flows from a pipe at 650 L/min. a) What is the diameter of the pipe (in cm) of that pipe, if the water flows at 1.5 m/s?

Homework Equations

Q = V*A

Now the equation for the area of a pipe is A = ∏r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Q = 650 L/min
V = 1.5 m/s

So the equation should be A = Q/V

A = (650 L/min) / (1.5 m/s)

Now after this part I really have no clue, my next guess would be to possibly change units? But I'm not quite sure which units I'd have to change to to get the answer.

I looked in the back of my book and the answer is 9.6 cm, but what use is the answer if you can't get there, right?

Any help, hints etc would be appreciated :) thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How many liters are there in a cubic meter?
Hint 1 litre = 1 cubic decimeter = a cube 10cm on each side.

Simon Bridge said:
How many liters are there in a cubic meter?
Hint 1 litre = 1 cubic decimeter = a cube 10cm on each side.

A cubic metre would contain 1000 litres.

I just solved it...turns out I was putting the decimal point in the wrong place...oh my gosh. Hahaha

Thanks Simon.

No worries. Just got to watch those conversion factors ;)
Simon

I would approach this problem by first converting all units to a common system. In this case, since the given rate of flow is in L/min and the given velocity is in m/s, I would convert the rate of flow to m^3/s. This can be done by multiplying 650 L/min by (1 m^3 / 1000 L) and dividing by 60 s/min.

650 L/min * (1 m^3 / 1000 L) * (1 min / 60 s) = 0.01083 m^3/s

Now that we have all units in the same system, we can use the equation A = Q/V to solve for the area of the pipe. However, we need to rearrange the equation to solve for the radius first.

A = ∏r^2
r^2 = A/∏
r = √(A/∏)

Now, we can plug in the values we know into the equation.

r = √(0.01083 m^3/s / ∏)
r = 0.0586 m

Finally, we can convert the radius to cm, as requested in the problem.

r = 0.0586 m * (100 cm / 1 m) = 5.86 cm

Therefore, the diameter of the pipe is twice the radius, or 2*5.86 cm = 11.72 cm. This is close to the given answer of 9.6 cm, so it is possible that the answer in the back of the book is incorrect.

1. How do you find the area of a pipe?

To find the area of a pipe, you need to measure the diameter of the pipe and use the formula A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the pipe. Alternatively, you can use the formula A = (πd²)/4, where d is the diameter of the pipe.

2. What is the rate of flow?

The rate of flow is the amount of fluid that passes through a pipe or channel in a given amount of time. It is usually measured in units of volume per unit of time, such as gallons per minute or cubic meters per second.

3. How is the rate of flow calculated?

The rate of flow is calculated by dividing the volume of fluid that has passed through the pipe by the amount of time it took for it to pass. For example, if 100 gallons of water pass through a pipe in 5 minutes, the rate of flow would be 20 gallons per minute.

4. Does the area of a pipe affect the rate of flow?

Yes, the area of a pipe does affect the rate of flow. A larger area allows for more fluid to pass through, resulting in a higher rate of flow. This is why it is important to accurately calculate the area of a pipe when determining the rate of flow.

5. Can the rate of flow be changed?

Yes, the rate of flow can be changed by altering the diameter of the pipe, the pressure of the fluid, or the viscosity of the fluid. These factors can affect the speed at which the fluid moves through the pipe, thus changing the rate of flow.