Finding Derivatives: h(2)=4, h'(2)=-3, d/dx(h(x)/x)|x=2

• Thread starter Joyci116
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: Also, make sure you use the correct values for h(x) and h'(x) at x = 2.In summary, the derivative of h(x)/x is (xh'(x)-h(x))/x^2 and when x=2, the derivative equals (-3h(2)+2h(2))/4.
Joyci116

Homework Statement

If h(2)=4 and h'(2)=-3, find
[tex]\left.\frac{d}{dx}\frac{h(x)}{x}\right|_{x=2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

n^n-1 (power rule)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to get this started. It seems like I am having trouble with derivatives. I can do simple derivatives with the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule, but I do not know what the line on the right means, nor do I understand what the d/dx times the quantity of h(x)/x means.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It means find the derivative of f(x)/x when (or, at the point where) x equals 2.

Joyci116 said:

Homework Statement

If h(2)=4 and h'(2)=-3, find [itex]\displaystyle \left[\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{h(x)}{x}\right) \right|_{x=2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

n^n-1 (power rule)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to get this started. It seems like I am having trouble with derivatives. I can do simple derivatives with the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule, but I do not know what the line on the right means, nor do I understand what the d/dx times the quantity of h(x)/x means.
d/dx times the quantity of h(x)/x means: the derivative of h(x)/x

the line on the right means: evaluate the derivative at x = 2

SO the derivative would be -3/4?

No. Are you using the quotient rule?

Helps to show your work.

Um, h(x)=4, because x=2 so h(2)=4; x=2, so I get 1/2. But you don't understand how you would the the quotient rule using that value. There is the product rule if you rearrange the formula to 1(2)^-1
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused.

(Don't put 2 in for x just yet.)

What is the derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \frac{h(x)}{x}[/itex] , using the quotient rule?

If that doesn't make sense, then what is the derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \frac{h(x)}{g(x)}\,?[/itex]

Joyci116 said:
Um, h(x)=4,
No, you can't say this. You don't know what h(x) is, only what its value is at a particular x value.
Joyci116 said:
because x=2 so h(2)=4; x=2, so I get 1/2. But you don't understand how you would the the quotient rule using that value. There is the product rule if you rearrange the formula to 1(2)^-1
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused.
Forget the numbers for now.

1. Find the derivative of h(x)/x. I would use the quotient rule.
2. Evaluate the derivative you found in #1 at x = 2.

[itex]\frac{x[h'(x)]-h(x)x'}{x^{2}}[/itex]

Joyci116 said:
[itex]\frac{x[h'(x)]-h(x)x'}{x^{2}}[/itex]

What's x' ?
Simplify what you have.

Then evaluate everything at x = 2.

x=2
[2(-3)-4(0)]/2^2 =-3/2

Not quite, but you're close. What's x'? (It's not 0.)

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical expression that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. In simpler terms, it measures how much a function changes when its input value changes.

Why is finding the derivative important?

Finding the derivative is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values. It also helps us solve real-world problems involving rates of change, such as finding the speed of an object or the growth rate of a population.

How do you find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be found by using the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the limit of a difference quotient as the change in the input value approaches zero. Alternatively, we can also use techniques such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule to find the derivative of more complex functions.

What are some real-world applications of finding derivatives?

Finding derivatives has many real-world applications, such as in physics for calculating velocity and acceleration, in economics for analyzing demand and supply curves, and in engineering for optimizing designs and predicting changes in systems over time.

Can you find the derivative of any function?

Not all functions have a well-defined derivative. Some functions, such as those with sharp corners or discontinuities, do not have a derivative at certain points. Additionally, some functions may have a derivative that is undefined at certain points, such as when the denominator of a fraction is equal to zero.