Finding the electric field at a point midway between two charges

In summary, the electric field at a point midway between two charges of +30.0 x 10^-9 C and +60.0 x 10^-9 C separated by a distance of 30.0cm is 12.0 x 10^3 N/C towards 30 nC. This is calculated by using the formula E= Kq / r^2, with r being the distance from each charge to the midpoint and taking into account the direction of the electric field as a vector quantity. The correct value for r is 0.15m.
Bryster77
Find the electric field at a point midway between the two charges of +30.0 x 10^-9 C and +60.0 x 10^-9 C separated by a distance of 30.0cm

My work:

E= Kq / r^2

E= (9 x 10^9 NxM^2/C^2)(30.0 x 10^-9 C)/ (0.30m)^2

i get 3000 N/C

E= (9x10^9 NxM^2/C^2)(60 x 10^-9 C)/(0.30m)^2

i get 6000 N/C

i added the two together and got 9000N/C, but its telling me the answer is "12.0 x 10^3N/C toward 30 nC"

i am confused on what i am doing wrong. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe your r value is wrong. The distance from a charge to the midpoint is NOT 0.30m. 0.30m is the distance from one charge to the other. Also, electric field is a vector quantity, so directions matter when you sum up contributions from multiple sources.

I completely understand it now, thank you. =D

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the electric field at a point midway between two charges?

The formula for finding the electric field at a point midway between two charges is E = k(Q1+Q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between the two charges.

2. How do I determine the direction of the electric field at a point midway between two charges?

The direction of the electric field at a point midway between two charges is determined by the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience if placed at that point. If the two charges have opposite signs, the electric field will point towards the negative charge. If the two charges have the same sign, the electric field will point away from the charges.

3. Can the electric field at a point midway between two charges be zero?

Yes, if the two charges are of equal magnitude and opposite signs, the electric field at a point midway between them will be zero. This is because the forces from the two charges will cancel each other out.

4. What units are used to measure the electric field?

The electric field is measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m).

5. How does the distance between the two charges affect the electric field at a point midway between them?

The electric field at a point midway between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two charges. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases. So, the farther apart the charges are, the weaker the electric field will be at the midway point.