Finding the index of refraction with respect to the vertical axis

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
greedo

Homework Statement


Studying the mirage, we can assume that the index of refraction depends only on the vertical coordinate z. A ray of light starts from {0,0} with angle [tex]\beta\leq30[/tex]. It's trajectory fits on an ellipse with major axis a and minor axis b.

a) Give [tex]n(z)=?[/tex]
b) What is the trajectory of a ray of light that starts with angle [tex]2\beta[/tex] ?

Homework Equations


From functional analysis we derived that in this situation:
[tex]\frac{n[z]}{\sqrt{1+z'[x]^2}}=\text{constant}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



What I have problems with is expressing u and v in terms of beta,a and b. If I could do that then I could give the equation for the ellipse, order it for z[x] and insert it into the equation in 2. I was supposed to do this in an exam in about half an hour, so it has to have a simple solution that I cannot see even after looking at it for hours.

I have made a drawing
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Are u and v the (x,z) coordinates of the center of the ellipse? What about starting with the general equation for an ellipse, and setting z'=tan(β) at the origin?