Finding the index of refraction with respect to the vertical axis

In summary, the conversation discusses studying the mirage and determining the trajectory of a ray of light based on its angle and the index of refraction. The equations derived from functional analysis show that the trajectory of the ray follows an ellipse with major axis a and minor axis b. The solution involves finding the coordinates of the center of the ellipse and plugging them into the general equation for an ellipse.
greedo

Homework Statement

Studying the mirage, we can assume that the index of refraction depends only on the vertical coordinate z. A ray of light starts from {0,0} with angle [tex]\beta\leq30[/tex]. It's trajectory fits on an ellipse with major axis a and minor axis b.

a) Give [tex]n(z)=?[/tex]
b) What is the trajectory of a ray of light that starts with angle [tex]2\beta[/tex] ?

Homework Equations

From functional analysis we derived that in this situation:
[tex]\frac{n[z]}{\sqrt{1+z'[x]^2}}=\text{constant}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I have problems with is expressing u and v in terms of beta,a and b. If I could do that then I could give the equation for the ellipse, order it for z[x] and insert it into the equation in 2. I was supposed to do this in an exam in about half an hour, so it has to have a simple solution that I cannot see even after looking at it for hours.

I have made a drawing

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Are u and v the (x,z) coordinates of the center of the ellipse? What about starting with the general equation for an ellipse, and setting z'=tan(β) at the origin?

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the index of refraction with respect to the vertical axis?

The index of refraction with respect to the vertical axis is a measure of how much a material bends light as it passes through it in a vertical direction. It is a dimensionless quantity that is dependent on the properties of the material and the wavelength of light.

Why is the index of refraction important?

The index of refraction is important because it allows us to understand how light behaves when passing through different materials. It is a key factor in determining the speed of light in a material and can also affect the appearance and optical properties of objects.

How is the index of refraction measured?

The index of refraction can be measured using various techniques such as refractometry, interferometry, and spectroscopy. These methods involve measuring the angle of refraction and using mathematical equations to calculate the index of refraction.

What factors can affect the index of refraction?

The index of refraction can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the composition of the material. In general, materials with a higher density and stronger intermolecular forces will have a higher index of refraction.

What are some real-life applications of the index of refraction?

The index of refraction has many practical applications, including the design of lenses for glasses, cameras, and telescopes. It is also essential in industries such as optics, telecommunications, and materials science for developing new products and technologies.